passwd file damaged - Aix

This is a discussion on passwd file damaged - Aix ; Hi, today i saved the passwd file with two spaces at the beginning, and i didn't check it afterwards. After rebooting the machine i have no way to log in into the system. Is there a way to get into ...

  1. passwd file damaged

    Hi,

    today i saved the passwd file with two spaces at the beginning, and i
    didn't check it afterwards. After rebooting the machine i have no way
    to log in into the system.
    Is there a way to get into a "single" user mode to fix the passwd file?

    Machine: RS/6000 233 MHz
    AIX 4.3.3.0

    Best Regards,
    Patrick

  2. Re: passwd file damaged

    yes. (this works in 5.x. I don't do much on 4.x)
    Boot off of the CD, there should be a maintainance mode. Then you
    should have the option to load the rootvg or boot before mounting
    filesystems. Choose the first option. This should dump you at a prompt.

    2 warnings:
    First, AIX will only work with filesystems made at or below the patch
    level of the version of AIX that you're booting off of. So for example
    if I had a machine with AIX5.3ML3, and I booted off an AIX5.3ML2 CD, I
    wouldn't be able to do any work with files. However If I had an AIX
    5.3TL5 CD, I could load the files and work with them.
    Second, maint mode tends to get confused about the terminal type, which
    messes with vi . do an export TERM=vt100 and it should fix the term.
    Good luck!

    Blutwolf wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > today i saved the passwd file with two spaces at the beginning, and i
    > didn't check it afterwards. After rebooting the machine i have no way
    > to log in into the system.
    > Is there a way to get into a "single" user mode to fix the passwd file?
    >
    > Machine: RS/6000 233 MHz
    > AIX 4.3.3.0
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Patrick

  3. Re: passwd file damaged

    On 18 Jan., 17:39, "michael.shulman" wrote:
    > yes. (this works in 5.x. I don't do much on 4.x)
    > Boot off of the CD, there should be a maintainance mode. Then you
    > should have the option to load the rootvg or boot before mounting
    > filesystems. Choose the first option. This should dump you at a prompt.

    Arg, but how can i boot into maintenace mode... the monitor gives me
    out of range and pressing 5/f5 doesn't do anything..
    Its an rs6000 43p-140.

+ Reply to Thread