EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions? - Aix

This is a discussion on EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions? - Aix ; client wants to backup p520/AIX 5.3 box over WAN to p550 at DR site (they have leased a T1 line for this). anyone have any opinions on EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions? EASE OF USE & SETUP is ...

  1. EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    client wants to backup p520/AIX 5.3 box over WAN to p550 at DR site
    (they have leased a T1 line for this). anyone have any opinions on
    EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    EASE OF USE & SETUP is EXTREMEly important, as the client is small and
    has basically no budget for an expensive/overkill solution. just needs
    to backup rootvg & 1 or 2 uservg's so the p550 can take over in case of
    failure of p520.

    should I just write a script to do something like this?:

    cronjob
    -once nightly do a mksysb & savevg (for uservg's)
    -should i try to tar or otherwise compress the resulting images before
    sending them over the wire?
    -should i use ftp, sftp, or rsync or rcopy to get the data across the
    wire?

    any help is greatly appreciated, as I've never attempted a "home-grown"
    DR solution that calls for backing up over a wire like this.

    Thanks in advance!
    -sincerely
    -P

  2. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    p595pimp wrote:

    > client wants to backup p520/AIX 5.3 box over WAN to p550 at DR site
    > (they have leased a T1 line for this). anyone have any opinions on
    > EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?
    >
    > EASE OF USE & SETUP is EXTREMEly important, as the client is small and
    > has basically no budget for an expensive/overkill solution. just needs
    > to backup rootvg & 1 or 2 uservg's so the p550 can take over in case of
    > failure of p520.
    >
    > should I just write a script to do something like this?:
    >
    > cronjob
    > -once nightly do a mksysb & savevg (for uservg's)
    > -should i try to tar or otherwise compress the resulting images before
    > sending them over the wire?
    > -should i use ftp, sftp, or rsync or rcopy to get the data across the
    > wire?
    >
    > any help is greatly appreciated, as I've never attempted a "home-grown"
    > DR solution that calls for backing up over a wire like this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > -sincerely
    > -P

    My $.02 worth:

    1) Free - write your own scrips (find/backup to remote or ftp)
    2) Free - take a look at bacula.com (from UCLA)
    3) Cost - take a look at storix.com

    There you have it!!!

  3. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    p595pimp wrote:
    > client wants to backup p520/AIX 5.3 box over WAN to p550 at DR site
    > (they have leased a T1 line for this). anyone have any opinions on
    > EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?
    >
    > EASE OF USE & SETUP is EXTREMEly important, as the client is small and
    > has basically no budget for an expensive/overkill solution. just needs
    > to backup rootvg & 1 or 2 uservg's so the p550 can take over in case of
    > failure of p520.
    >
    > should I just write a script to do something like this?:
    >
    > cronjob
    > -once nightly do a mksysb & savevg (for uservg's)
    > -should i try to tar or otherwise compress the resulting images before
    > sending them over the wire?
    > -should i use ftp, sftp, or rsync or rcopy to get the data across the
    > wire?
    >
    > any help is greatly appreciated, as I've never attempted a "home-grown"
    > DR solution that calls for backing up over a wire like this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > -sincerely
    > -P

    rsync and/or rsnapshot?

  4. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    Thanks for the response guys... unfortunately, even storix is out of
    their budget.
    say you were going to write your own script... they currently have a
    backup routine (I believe its just a cronjob running rcopy or
    something, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet) thats sending
    nightly backups to a box (local) on their LAN...

    ----should I just hack up their existing backup script to point to the
    new box (remote) on their WAN (about 12 miles away physically, with a
    leased T1 for bandwidth)

    --OR--

    should I try to compress the data for transfer... or otherwise consider
    anything else, change the script somehow because the new backup box is
    remote?

    should I switch from rcopy to rsync, or some other protocol for the
    transfer?

    what would be the advantages of using bacula vs. a system like this?

    THAnks! SINCERely!
    -p

    bobmct wrote:
    > My $.02 worth:
    >
    > 1) Free - write your own scrips (find/backup to remote or ftp)
    > 2) Free - take a look at bacula.com (from UCLA)
    > 3) Cost - take a look at storix.com
    >
    > There you have it!!!

  5. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    p595pimp wrote:
    > Thanks for the response guys... unfortunately, even storix is out of
    > their budget.
    > say you were going to write your own script... they currently have a
    > backup routine (I believe its just a cronjob running rcopy or
    > something, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet) thats sending
    > nightly backups to a box (local) on their LAN...
    >
    > ----should I just hack up their existing backup script to point to the
    > new box (remote) on their WAN (about 12 miles away physically, with a
    > leased T1 for bandwidth)
    >
    > --OR--
    >
    > should I try to compress the data for transfer... or otherwise consider
    > anything else, change the script somehow because the new backup box is
    > remote?
    >
    > should I switch from rcopy to rsync, or some other protocol for the
    > transfer?
    >
    > what would be the advantages of using bacula vs. a system like this?
    >
    > THAnks! SINCERely!
    > -p

    You should have the competence to solve your clients problems yourself,
    after all they are paying YOU, not this group. Outsourcing your clients
    problems to this newsgroup in full like this for free (as evident by
    your last three threads) is unacceptable. If you have specific
    technical questions about AIX or pSeries, you are in the right place.

  6. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    do you think ANYbody in here is asking questions about ANYTHING OTHER
    than thier CLIENTS problems???
    i guess maybe you think that everybody in here is just running pSeries
    machines at home, right? and in that case it would be okay to ask
    questions? right.
    fatass, i do have the competence to solve their problems... thats
    exactly why WASNT asking SPECIFIC questions... just for general
    opinions. hmmm... maybe someone on here has experience with writing
    remote backup scripts and can offer some general advice. you dont see
    me on here asking people to write the script FOR me do you?
    quit acting like some self-appointed usenet cop who enforces made up
    rules (only specific questions, huh? and i guess your the guy who's
    supposed to decide if peoples questions are specific enough, right?).
    thanks, your self-righteousness just cost me ten minutes of my life
    that i'll never get back.

    bottom line: if you don't have anything helpful to say... then why say
    anything at all?

    Kevin Bowling wrote:
    > You should have the competence to solve your clients problems yourself,
    > after all they are paying YOU, not this group. Outsourcing your clients
    > problems to this newsgroup in full like this for free (as evident by
    > your last three threads) is unacceptable. If you have specific
    > technical questions about AIX or pSeries, you are in the right place.

  7. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    Don't pay attention to him.
    May be he had a bad day.

    Kevin Bowling wrote:
    > p595pimp wrote:
    > > Thanks for the response guys... unfortunately, even storix is out of
    > > their budget.
    > > say you were going to write your own script... they currently have a
    > > backup routine (I believe its just a cronjob running rcopy or
    > > something, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet) thats sending
    > > nightly backups to a box (local) on their LAN...
    > >
    > > ----should I just hack up their existing backup script to point to the
    > > new box (remote) on their WAN (about 12 miles away physically, with a
    > > leased T1 for bandwidth)
    > >
    > > --OR--
    > >
    > > should I try to compress the data for transfer... or otherwise consider
    > > anything else, change the script somehow because the new backup box is
    > > remote?
    > >
    > > should I switch from rcopy to rsync, or some other protocol for the
    > > transfer?
    > >
    > > what would be the advantages of using bacula vs. a system like this?
    > >
    > > THAnks! SINCERely!
    > > -p

    > You should have the competence to solve your clients problems yourself,
    > after all they are paying YOU, not this group. Outsourcing your clients
    > problems to this newsgroup in full like this for free (as evident by
    > your last three threads) is unacceptable. If you have specific
    > technical questions about AIX or pSeries, you are in the right place.

  8. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    p595pimp wrote:
    > do you think ANYbody in here is asking questions about ANYTHING OTHER
    > than thier CLIENTS problems???

    Certainly. But almost nobody else is asking questions without doing
    research first. Your questions are very vague because of this. Perhaps
    you are just incapable of searching the web for ten minutes to narrow
    down your queries.

    > fatass,

    Hardly. Thanks for the laugh though.

    > i do have the competence to solve their problems... thats
    > exactly why WASNT asking SPECIFIC questions... just for general
    > opinions. hmmm... maybe someone on here has experience with writing
    > remote backup scripts and can offer some general advice. you dont see
    > me on here asking people to write the script FOR me do you?

    This was mostly in response to the over-the-line backup thread (why the
    dupe?). Anyone who has worked with a system this size would realize
    that a T1 is only 1.544mbps and would be pretty strained for any kind of
    real time fail over (HACMP, load balance, etc.).

    > thanks, your self-righteousness just cost me ten minutes of my life
    > that i'll never get back.

    With this logic, I could help you... but I'm not going to. That would
    cost me 10 minutes of my life :-).

    > bottom line: if you don't have anything helpful to say... then why say
    > anything at all?

    Spend the time to properly research your problems. Fair enough?

  9. Re: EASY to use/implement & FREE/opensource BACKUP solutions?

    >> If you have specific technical questions about AIX or pSeries

    Wasn't the p595pimp asking for info / ideas on cheap backup software /
    solutions ?

    And as for "opinions", correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the
    whole point of usenet ?

    I am not disagreeing with you in principle that you should do research
    first and then post your thread, but looking at many of the other posts
    over the last few years this one is hardly worthy of your reaction ..

    My 2 pence anyhoo ..

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread