new p550 won't boot up! - Aix

This is a discussion on new p550 won't boot up! - Aix ; hey all, i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... ...

  1. new p550 won't boot up!

    hey all,
    i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI
    inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us
    today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... nothing even
    comes up on screen.

    it shipped with a monitor & keyboard (and with AIX 5.3
    pre-installed)... so i don't think its a terminal configuration
    problem. I haven't had access to the box yet, so I haven't been able
    to determine if any RAM got unseated, or anything obvious like that...
    but... from an offhand perspective, is there anything anyone could
    think of that might be causing an effect like this?

    thanks in advance,
    -c

  2. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Try the HMC...... It might be in LPAR mode

    p595pimp wrote:
    > hey all,
    > i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI
    > inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us
    > today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... nothing even
    > comes up on screen.
    >
    > it shipped with a monitor & keyboard (and with AIX 5.3
    > pre-installed)... so i don't think its a terminal configuration
    > problem. I haven't had access to the box yet, so I haven't been able
    > to determine if any RAM got unseated, or anything obvious like that...
    > but... from an offhand perspective, is there anything anyone could
    > think of that might be causing an effect like this?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    > -c

  3. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Validate this:
    If your P550 has two processor card you need to provide 220v electrical
    power instead of 120v.
    Take a look in the Redbook.

    Bobohoolie wrote:
    > Try the HMC...... It might be in LPAR mode
    >
    > p595pimp wrote:
    > > hey all,
    > > i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI
    > > inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us
    > > today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... nothing even
    > > comes up on screen.
    > >
    > > it shipped with a monitor & keyboard (and with AIX 5.3
    > > pre-installed)... so i don't think its a terminal configuration
    > > problem. I haven't had access to the box yet, so I haven't been able
    > > to determine if any RAM got unseated, or anything obvious like that...
    > > but... from an offhand perspective, is there anything anyone could
    > > think of that might be causing an effect like this?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance,
    > > -c

  4. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    nicolas.paradis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Validate this:
    > If your P550 has two processor card you need to provide 220v electrical
    > power instead of 120v.

    I can vouch for this, having run into it myself. It looked like it had power,
    but would not boot.

    --
    steve stackwick
    sstackwick@jasi.com

  5. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    What about messages on the oprator panel?

    I would start with getting to service processor through comunication port
    (computer powered but nod swiched on) and look for the buoot options.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...1r3s/index.jsp
    Accessing the ASMI using an ASCII terminal

    Next if it works( if not there is severe problem and IBM should be called
    and they will do repair at no cost ) try to start with service CD and run
    test. If the test is ok. in 99% of cases the harware is ok and you have to
    search somwhere "higher" for instance in virtualization layer, but to be
    sure its good idea to check if ewerything is ok below

    Stan

    "p595pimp" wrote in message
    news:1168903366.844576.37130@11g2000cwr.googlegrou ps.com...
    > hey all,
    > i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI
    > inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us
    > today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... nothing even
    > comes up on screen.
    >
    > it shipped with a monitor & keyboard (and with AIX 5.3
    > pre-installed)... so i don't think its a terminal configuration
    > problem. I haven't had access to the box yet, so I haven't been able
    > to determine if any RAM got unseated, or anything obvious like that...
    > but... from an offhand perspective, is there anything anyone could
    > think of that might be causing an effect like this?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    > -c

  6. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    to verify what nicolas and steve said re: the 220V power... I called
    the guy, and he said he was using 108V (guess he means 110V?), but as
    far as I know, the machine is a 2-way, only in that is has a single
    dual-core proc. ... so, this means he would only have a single proc.
    card. does this still require 220V?
    anyway, the guy is calling facilites to get a 250V line provisioned.
    he mentioned that the operating panel is giving a bunch of C-codes,
    then ends up with "11002613"... I've looked for this errmsg on
    infocenter, but couldnt find it specifically. anybody seen this one
    before?

    thanks!
    -P

    Stanislaw Zakrzewski wrote:
    > What about messages on the oprator panel?
    >
    > I would start with getting to service processor through comunication port
    > (computer powered but nod swiched on) and look for the buoot options.
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...1r3s/index.jsp
    > Accessing the ASMI using an ASCII terminal
    >
    > Next if it works( if not there is severe problem and IBM should be called
    > and they will do repair at no cost ) try to start with service CD and run
    > test. If the test is ok. in 99% of cases the harware is ok and you have to
    > search somwhere "higher" for instance in virtualization layer, but to be
    > sure its good idea to check if ewerything is ok below
    >
    > Stan
    >
    > "p595pimp" wrote in message
    > news:1168903366.844576.37130@11g2000cwr.googlegrou ps.com...
    > > hey all,
    > > i work at an IBM PBP, and we have a client (actually PARC.. the GUI
    > > inventors!) who got a branf-new p550 from us... anyway, they called us
    > > today and said that the thing won't boot up at all... nothing even
    > > comes up on screen.
    > >
    > > it shipped with a monitor & keyboard (and with AIX 5.3
    > > pre-installed)... so i don't think its a terminal configuration
    > > problem. I haven't had access to the box yet, so I haven't been able
    > > to determine if any RAM got unseated, or anything obvious like that...
    > > but... from an offhand perspective, is there anything anyone could
    > > think of that might be causing an effect like this?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance,
    > > -c

  7. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    A quick search on IBM web site gave:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...256f3b0041bb03

    saying:
    Problem Summary:
    When powering on an IBM eServer™ i5-550, the system halts with SRC
    11002613 indicating an SPCN power failure or problem.

    Resolution:
    This system has a redundant power option installed which provides two
    power sources. Only the primary power cord was attached to the UPS; the
    redundant cord was unattached. After locating another power source for
    the second power cable and attaching it, the system IPLed with no
    problem.

    so it might help
    hth
    Hajo

  8. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Hajo,
    thanks man! as usual, youre right! i did, after some digging, finally
    find the 1102613 error msg... the one I found said:
    "system requires 200V power input"

    Thanks again!!
    -P

    BTW... we shipped the system w/ a 250V cord, and a 120V cord... I just
    found out he was only using the 120V one... but does your msg imply
    that he will have to use BOTH?

    thanks!
    -p

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > A quick search on IBM web site gave:
    > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...256f3b0041bb03
    >
    > saying:
    > Problem Summary:
    > When powering on an IBM eServerâ„¢ i5-550, the system halts with SRC
    > 11002613 indicating an SPCN power failure or problem.
    >
    > Resolution:
    > This system has a redundant power option installed which provides two
    > power sources. Only the primary power cord was attached to the UPS; the
    > redundant cord was unattached. After locating another power source for
    > the second power cable and attaching it, the system IPLed with no
    > problem.
    >

    > so it might help
    > hth
    > Hajo

  9. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    p595pimp wrote:

    > BTW... we shipped the system w/ a 250V cord, and a 120V cord... I just
    > found out he was only using the 120V one... but does your msg imply
    > that he will have to use BOTH?

    He should use either 250V or 120V but I my understanding :
    If you have 2 power supplies installed on the p550 both power supplies
    must be connected and have power. In my opinion is this a bug because
    in case of an power failure on one power line the systems might still
    run but will not be able to start after an reboot.

    hth
    Hajo

  10. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Only the primary power cord was attached to the UPS; the
    redundant cord was unattached. After locating another power source for
    the second power cable and attaching it, the system IPLed with no
    problem.

    So that means that system will not run with no redundant power supply ?
    What if during regular operations power supply will fail? So what was the
    problem power Voltage or power connection, I am confused...

    Stan

  11. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Hello,

    http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/...5_185_160.html

    "
    Fixed a problem that prevents power on and posts a 11002613 error code
    when AC is lost to one power supply. This problem exists only in SF230
    levels of firmware.
    "

    This about problem (and posiible future problems so firmware upgrade is
    suggested).

    About voltage.

    p550 and i550 basicly use the same hardware but some ruls are different, in
    this particular case p5-550 allows usage pf 110V power up to 2 procesor
    configurations and i5-550 not.
    p5-550

    http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/OI...search#@2h@79@
    "
    a.. Operating voltage:
    a.. 1- to 2-way 100 to 127 or 200 to 240 V ac (auto-ranging)
    b.. Operating voltage: 4-way 200 to 240 V ac
    a.. Operating frequency: 47/63 Hz
    a.. Power consumption: 1100 watts (maximum)
    "

    i5-550
    http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/OI...arch#Header_28

    "
    Electrical
    kVA (maximum) 1.158
    Rated voltage and frequency 200-240V AC@50/60Hz(+/- .5)
    Power consumption (maximum) 1100 Watts
    Thermal output (maximum) 3754 BTU
    "

  12. Re: new p550 won't boot up!

    Stanislaw Zakrzewski wrote:

    " p550 and i550 basicly use the same hardware but some ruls are
    different, in
    > this particular case p5-550 allows usage pf 110V power up to 2 procesor
    > configurations and i5-550 not."

    --------well I can tell you thats not correct, as that is exactly what
    the client was doing... trying to run a 2-proc p550 with 110V power...
    would NOT boot, and was giving the 11002613 code, which, if you look it
    up on infocenter, means "system requires 200V power".
    maybe you go tit backwards with the i&p.

    p550 2-way def. req.'s 250V AC power.

    actually, now i'm confused about something though... if the system
    req.'s 250V... then whats with the "redundant" 120V cord??? say the
    250V line or power supply fails... what will the system do with only
    the 120V line working?

    i'm GUESSING maybe it just keeps the RAM powered up so there is no
    immediate data loss? or can the thing OPERATE on 120V, just not BOOT?

    any ideas?

    thanks,
    -p

+ Reply to Thread