Pumping Spooler - Aix

This is a discussion on Pumping Spooler - Aix ; Hi the environmental description deals with a big consolidated spooler system on a zOS with the old LPD protocol interface (port 515/tcp) and a list of 10 AIX 5.3 TL4 SP2. In the AIX boxes we have WebSphere and some ...

  1. Pumping Spooler

    Hi
    the environmental description deals with a big consolidated spooler
    system on a zOS with the old LPD protocol interface (port 515/tcp) and
    a list of 10 AIX 5.3 TL4 SP2. In the AIX boxes we have WebSphere and
    some applicazions deployed in it need to spool thousands of pdf at a
    time through some printer located via the spooler in the zOS box.

    In order to keep simple all the mechanism I install in each AIX box the
    rlpr package from http://truffula.com/ instead of building a local
    spooler pointing to the zOS one.

    All ok if I print several pdf, but if I pump the spooling system I
    notice many socket error
    "socket already in use"...
    So, digging into RFC, I found that the client port range is strictly
    [721-731]
    Trying to reproduce the error I notice that rlpr open one tcp socket
    per lpr command...
    bingo! I find the error in the machine when all socket from 721 to 730
    are closed connection in CLOSE_WAIT state. The print is done, but the
    source port is not available yet due to TCP specifications.

    Spooler vendor says that he don't have specific client for AIX platform

    Now the question: are there simple solution like building a specific
    websphere datasource or using some ldp connection wrapper to multiplex
    the query into one tcp connection?

    Thank's in Advance

  2. Re: Pumping Spooler

    Only to close the issue:

    using the AIX command "rembak" directly it seems work well also in
    remote queue

+ Reply to Thread