QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode - Aix

This is a discussion on QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode - Aix ; Hi, all. I am transferring some .Z files from an AIX 5.2 box to an MS Windows server. I have only found one tool which has been able to extract these files, 'Winrar'. And this is not a tool that ...

  1. QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    Hi, all.

    I am transferring some .Z files from an AIX 5.2 box to an MS Windows
    server.

    I have only found one tool which has been able to extract these files,
    'Winrar'. And this is not a tool that I can use to batch-extract these
    files: It's a GUI tool.

    I'm looking for something 'stand-alone', which will not require the
    installation of an entire UNIX for Windows toolset, which will let me
    uncompress these files at the command line.

    The native OS's 'unzip' utility does not recognize these files as ZIP
    files.

    Can anyone suggest a tool which will help?

    I shall continue the search, but any suggestions would be welcome.

    BD

  2. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    BD wrote:
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > I am transferring some .Z files from an AIX 5.2 box to an MS Windows
    > server.
    >
    > I have only found one tool which has been able to extract these files,
    > 'Winrar'. And this is not a tool that I can use to batch-extract these
    > files: It's a GUI tool.
    >
    > I'm looking for something 'stand-alone', which will not require the
    > installation of an entire UNIX for Windows toolset, which will let me
    > uncompress these files at the command line.
    >
    > The native OS's 'unzip' utility does not recognize these files as ZIP
    > files.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a tool which will help?
    >
    > I shall continue the search, but any suggestions would be welcome.
    >
    > BD

    I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress

    http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip

    It contains a windows version of the compress util.

    David

  3. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    BD napisal(a):
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > I am transferring some .Z files from an AIX 5.2 box to an MS Windows
    > server.
    >
    > I have only found one tool which has been able to extract these files,
    > 'Winrar'. And this is not a tool that I can use to batch-extract these
    > files: It's a GUI tool.

    Hi.

    Maybe console (text) version of rar can extract .Z archives (if gui
    version can do), you have it in
    WinRar directory - rar.exe|unrar.exe

    lownoise

  4. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    > I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress
    >
    > http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip
    >
    > It contains a windows version of the compress util.
    >
    > David

    Ah, wonderful. I will try this. Thanks!

  5. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    > I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress
    >
    > http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip
    >
    > It contains a windows version of the compress util.
    >
    > David

    Ah, so near and yet so far. That archive contains 'compress', but it's
    'uncompress' that I need. I will look closer at that site. Thanks again.

  6. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    BD wrote:
    >> I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress
    >>
    >> http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip
    >>
    >> It contains a windows version of the compress util.
    >>
    >> David

    > Ah, so near and yet so far. That archive contains 'compress', but it's
    > 'uncompress' that I need. I will look closer at that site. Thanks
    > again.

    Doesn't compress.exe -d file.Z file uncompress the file?

    <

  7. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
    > BD wrote:
    >>> I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress
    >>>
    >>> http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip
    >>>
    >>> It contains a windows version of the compress util.
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> Ah, so near and yet so far. That archive contains 'compress', but
    >> it's 'uncompress' that I need. I will look closer at that site.
    >> Thanks again.

    > Doesn't compress.exe -d file.Z file uncompress the file?

    Err, sorry, I had a different compress.exe

    You can get a uncomp.exe that should work for you in:
    ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/dab/comp430d.zip

    just rename comp430d.exe to uncomp.exe

    <

  8. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
    > BD wrote:
    > >> I got this link from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compress
    > >>
    > >> http://www.willus.com/archive/unixcmds.zip
    > >>
    > >> It contains a windows version of the compress util.
    > >>
    > >> David

    > > Ah, so near and yet so far. That archive contains 'compress', but it's
    > > 'uncompress' that I need. I will look closer at that site. Thanks
    > > again.

    > Doesn't compress.exe -d file.Z file uncompress the file?
    >
    > <

    You are correct here the compress with the -d option will work.

    David

  9. Re: QUESTION: Uncompressing .Z files on windows 2K3 in batch mode

    > You are correct here the compress with the -d option will work.

    That would appear to work.

    Plus, the FTP client builds a temporary file until the file download is
    complete, and then renames it to the target filename. So I could
    schedule this compress -d to run every 5 minutes, and it would catch
    all .Z files that have completed transfering.

    If this works as planned, it will save me a good lot of time, plus
    considerable manual intervention.

    Thanks!