Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address - Aix

This is a discussion on Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address - Aix ; I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an external e-mail address. I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone on the company's exchange ...

  1. Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address

    I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an
    external e-mail address.
    I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone
    on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone
    outside the company it says host unknown.
    Is there something I need to set-up to make this work?
    I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open
    source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an
    executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay
    server.
    Can I get a similar program for AIX

    /Tom

  2. Re: Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address

    Tom wrote:
    > I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an
    > external e-mail address.
    > I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone
    > on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone
    > outside the company it says host unknown.
    > Is there something I need to set-up to make this work?
    > I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open
    > source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an
    > executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay
    > server.
    > Can I get a similar program for AIX
    >
    > /Tom

    Try this:

    add an entry to your /etc/hosts file

    eg:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hotmail.com
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain1.com
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com

    where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your smtp server.

    note:
    you can add all the domains you need with the same ip address.

    It works for me ...

  3. Re: Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address

    Tom wrote:
    > I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an
    > external e-mail address.
    > I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone
    > on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone
    > outside the company it says host unknown.
    > Is there something I need to set-up to make this work?
    > I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open
    > source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an
    > executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay
    > server.
    > Can I get a similar program for AIX
    >
    > /Tom

    Try this:

    add an entry to your /etc/hosts file

    eg:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hotmail.com
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain1.com
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com

    where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your smtp server.

    note:
    you can add all the domains you need with the same ip address.

    It works for me ...

+ Reply to Thread