filesystem protection?? - Aix

This is a discussion on filesystem protection?? - Aix ; hi all I just recently have been asked if the jfs/jfs2 filesystems could be online protected. for lvs/raw devices, most time we could mirror the lv/raw device to another physical/logical disk to make a online synchronizing copy so that the ...

  1. filesystem protection??

    hi all

    I just recently have been asked if the jfs/jfs2 filesystems could be
    online protected. for lvs/raw devices, most time we could mirror the
    lv/raw device to another physical/logical disk to make a online
    synchronizing copy so that the lv/raw devices won't lost any data or
    accession when one copy is not availiable or seating the edge of crash.

    accroding jfs/jfs2 filesystems, JFS online backups and JFS2 snapshots
    seem to be able to protect the data. but I am wondering if either JFS
    online backups or JFS2 snapshots can handle the filesystem crash and
    let user keep access the data in crashing filesystem which has been
    protected by online backup or snapshots.

    any idea would be appreciated,

    thanks in advance

    Frank

  2. Re: filesystem protection??

    no idea or no solution?

    rs6000er wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > I just recently have been asked if the jfs/jfs2 filesystems could be
    > online protected. for lvs/raw devices, most time we could mirror the
    > lv/raw device to another physical/logical disk to make a online
    > synchronizing copy so that the lv/raw devices won't lost any data or
    > accession when one copy is not availiable or seating the edge of crash.
    >
    > accroding jfs/jfs2 filesystems, JFS online backups and JFS2 snapshots
    > seem to be able to protect the data. but I am wondering if either JFS
    > online backups or JFS2 snapshots can handle the filesystem crash and
    > let user keep access the data in crashing filesystem which has been
    > protected by online backup or snapshots.
    >

    > any idea would be appreciated,
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Frank

  3. Re: filesystem protection??

    rs6000er schrieb:

    > no idea or no solution?

    An crashing FS is a crashing FS. You can not move to different JFS/JFS2
    FS ( sync or asyncronus backup ) because inodes are not the same,
    application I/O has not finished and so on. So in case of a FS crash
    you must restart your application and using the backup FS.

    Another approach would be to use GPFS with replication and in case the
    local access to the disk is lost it will switch the the backup node
    transparently. BUT in case the GPFS crashed it will not help either.

    Also you might take a look at NFS 4 for failover scenarios, meaning to
    access the data via NFS 4 ( even locally ) and in case of a failure
    switch to a backup NFSv4 server.

    But to be honest i think you should explain your initial problem and
    not asking for a solution.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread