need to recover a deleted file.. - Aix

This is a discussion on need to recover a deleted file.. - Aix ; Dear All, I am using AIX 5.2, JFS file system.. accidentally deleted a text file frm my home directory.. Is there any way to recover the deleted file... Thanks in Advance.. Wellington K...

  1. need to recover a deleted file..

    Dear All,

    I am using AIX 5.2, JFS file system.. accidentally deleted a
    text file frm my home directory.. Is there any way to recover the
    deleted file...

    Thanks in Advance..

    Wellington K

  2. Re: need to recover a deleted file..

    karan wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am using AIX 5.2, JFS file system.. accidentally deleted a
    > text file frm my home directory.. Is there any way to recover the
    > deleted file...
    >
    > Thanks in Advance..
    >
    > Wellington K

    The only way is to restore from backup.
    You have a backup, don't you...

  3. Re: need to recover a deleted file..

    unixman wrote:
    u>
    u> karan wrote:
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> I am using AIX 5.2, JFS file system.. accidentally deleted a
    >> text file frm my home directory.. Is there any way to recover the
    >> deleted file...
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance..
    >>
    >> Wellington K

    u>
    u> The only way is to restore from backup.
    u> You have a backup, don't you...
    u>

    If the deletion happened on an idle system, was discovered quickly AND the
    machine had been promptly shut down OR the disk removed, a commercial data
    recovery service (IBM?) should be able to retrieve the file.

    It is very unlikely, but not impossible, that the "oops" happened under such
    favorable conditions.

  4. Re: need to recover a deleted file..

    it depends how much you want this script back .. if it s 2 liner then I
    would give up now .. however, if it cost a lot to develop (time / man
    hours), then you may be able to get it back if it has not been
    overwritten on the disk yet ..

    check out these bods.. i am not sure how much they charge, but if its
    less than the development cost of the script, then give them a go ..

    www.compunix.com

    and like someone has already put .. make sure you have a backup next
    time ..

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread