RS/6000 320H problem - Aix

This is a discussion on RS/6000 320H problem - Aix ; hello world, I've got an old RS/6000 320H which appears to be in good physical shape, but when I try to boot, it gets stuck at LED 105. This means "BIST could not read the OCS EPROM", which unfortunately tells ...

  1. RS/6000 320H problem

    hello world,

    I've got an old RS/6000 320H which appears to be in good physical shape,
    but when I try to boot, it gets stuck at LED 105.
    This means "BIST could not read the OCS EPROM",
    which unfortunately tells me as much as "105".
    My memory is a bit rusty on this one,
    so I can't remember what to do in this case.
    Is there a chance to revive the box ?
    (and no, calling the service engineer is not an option here :-)

    regards and TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: RS/6000 320H problem

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello world,
    >
    > I've got an old RS/6000 320H which appears to be in good physical shape,
    > but when I try to boot, it gets stuck at LED 105.
    > This means "BIST could not read the OCS EPROM",
    > which unfortunately tells me as much as "105".
    > My memory is a bit rusty on this one,
    > so I can't remember what to do in this case.
    > Is there a chance to revive the box ?
    > (and no, calling the service engineer is not an option here :-)
    >
    > regards and TIA,
    > MK

    That's old school stuff man! If I remember correctly all numbers below
    500 refer to hardware. And the EPROM is an Erasable Programmable Memory
    chip. So I think you're toast unless you have a spare 320 laying around
    for parts.

    HTH

  3. Re: RS/6000 320H problem

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello world,
    >
    > I've got an old RS/6000 320H which appears to be in good physical shape,
    > but when I try to boot, it gets stuck at LED 105.
    > This means "BIST could not read the OCS EPROM",
    > which unfortunately tells me as much as "105".
    > My memory is a bit rusty on this one,
    > so I can't remember what to do in this case.
    > Is there a chance to revive the box ?
    > (and no, calling the service engineer is not an option here :-)
    >
    > regards and TIA,
    > MK

    If you think the problem is just age, I would look for a battery that
    was holding the configuration memory.

  4. Re: RS/6000 320H problem

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello world,

    > I've got an old RS/6000 320H which appears to be in good physical shape,
    > but when I try to boot, it gets stuck at LED 105.
    > This means "BIST could not read the OCS EPROM",
    > which unfortunately tells me as much as "105".
    > My memory is a bit rusty on this one,
    > so I can't remember what to do in this case.
    > Is there a chance to revive the box ?
    > (and no, calling the service engineer is not an option here :-)

    > regards and TIA,
    > MK

    Try to unplug and replug all adapters and other pluggable units. If
    it has not be powered on in a while a bit of corrosion may have set in.

    --
    Regards,
    Jerry M.

    This E-Mail server is a text only server, NO HTML. Attachments will be
    downloaded to a non-Windowz system.

  5. Re: RS/6000 320H problem

    Jerald H. Mathews schrieb:

    > Try to unplug and replug all adapters and other pluggable units. If
    > it has not be powered on in a while a bit of corrosion may have set in.

    for the record:
    it wasn't quite the solution, but at least it
    gave me the idea to inspect the box more
    thoroughly and indeed the two riser cards
    (memory and the other one)
    weren't firmly sitting in their sockets,
    maybe a transport problem.
    So now the box is at least booting off the diskettes !

    thanks to all who responded.

+ Reply to Thread