unamex symbol storage class - Aix

This is a discussion on unamex symbol storage class - Aix ; i did a dump -tv main(executable) on AIX 5.1 i get the following output : ***Symbol Table Information*** [Index] m Value Scn Aux Sclass Type Name [Index] a0 Fname [Index] a1 Tagndx Lnno Size Lnoptr Endndx [Index] a2 Tagndx Fsiz ...

  1. unamex symbol storage class

    i did a dump -tv main(executable) on AIX 5.1 i get the following output
    :
    ***Symbol Table Information***
    [Index] m Value Scn Aux Sclass Type Name
    [Index] a0 Fname
    [Index] a1 Tagndx Lnno Size Lnoptr Endndx
    [Index] a2 Tagndx Fsiz Lnoptr Endndx
    [Index] a3 Tagndx Lnno Size Dimensions
    [Index] a4 CSlen PARMhsh SNhash SMtype SMclass Stab SNstab
    [Index] a5 SECTlen #RELent #LINnums

    [537] m 0x200012fc .bss 1 unamex
    _main.bss_
    [538] a4 0x000003e8 0 0 CM BS 0 0

    the executable was build using gcc with debuuging information on

    The Sclass field which i think is the storage class gives you the value
    unamex. I need to know what this value denotes. I searched IBM
    documentation and it just said there is a function declared in
    utsname.h as int unamex( struct xutsname). And says it is used for
    getting the name of the operation system. I need to know what is the
    significance of the value unamex under Sclass field.

  2. Re: unamex symbol storage class

    shankha wrote:
    > i did a dump -tv main(executable) on AIX 5.1 i get the following output
    > :
    > ***Symbol Table Information***
    > [Index] m Value Scn Aux Sclass Type Name
    > [Index] a0 Fname
    > [Index] a1 Tagndx Lnno Size Lnoptr Endndx
    > [Index] a2 Tagndx Fsiz Lnoptr Endndx
    > [Index] a3 Tagndx Lnno Size Dimensions
    > [Index] a4 CSlen PARMhsh SNhash SMtype SMclass Stab SNstab
    > [Index] a5 SECTlen #RELent #LINnums
    >

    > [537] m 0x200012fc .bss 1 unamex
    > _main.bss_
    > [538] a4 0x000003e8 0 0 CM BS 0 0
    >

    > the executable was build using gcc with debuuging information on
    >
    > The Sclass field which i think is the storage class gives you the value
    > unamex. I need to know what this value denotes.

    The XCOFF file format is documented in the Files Reference manual
    (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...m#i08209709bcl)
    If you run dump -t (without the -v option) you'll find that the Sclass
    value for unamex is 0x6b. Looking in storclass.h, per the XCOFF
    documentation, you'll find that this is == 107, or a C_HIDEXT, which
    is fully documented.

    Essentially, it's a symbol with external visibility.

+ Reply to Thread