Vary symbolic link by user - Aix

This is a discussion on Vary symbolic link by user - Aix ; Hello Everyone, Is it possible to vary a symbolic link for each user? I would like some users to see a particular directory (A) as a symbolic link to another directory (B), and other users to see the same directory ...

  1. Vary symbolic link by user

    Hello Everyone,

    Is it possible to vary a symbolic link for each user?
    I would like some users to see a particular directory (A) as a symbolic
    link to another directory (B),
    and other users to see the same directory (A) as a symbolic link to a
    different directory (C) than what the other users are linking to. Is
    this possible with AIX 5.3?

    Thanks.
    ---Hillel

  2. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    "Hillel" writes:

    > Is it possible to vary a symbolic link for each user?

    In general, this is impossible on UNIX.

    However, it is quite easy with "versioned directories" under
    ClearCase (have different users use different config spec).

    It is also quite easy to achieve desired effect on Linux and Solaris
    by LD_PRELOADing a shared library that overrides readlink(2).

    > Is this possible with AIX 5.3?

    Too bad -- AIAK, AIX doesn't support LD_PRELOAD; and even if AIX5.3
    does, AIX shared library linking model makes it very difficult to
    override libc functions.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    Would it be possible to make a symbolic link point to an environment
    variable instead of a specific path name?

  4. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    "Hillel" wrote in message
    news:1167933456.195332.65540@q40g2000cwq.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > Is it possible to vary a symbolic link for each user?
    > I would like some users to see a particular directory (A) as a symbolic
    > link to another directory (B),
    > and other users to see the same directory (A) as a symbolic link to a
    > different directory (C) than what the other users are linking to. Is
    > this possible with AIX 5.3?

    You could set up a symbolic link for each user in their home directory, and
    have them use ~/. Does that help at all?

    cheers,
    clive

  5. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    "Hillel" writes:

    > Would it be possible to make a symbolic link point to an environment
    > variable instead of a specific path name?

    No.

    You might get better answers if you describe the *goal* that you
    want to achive, rather than the *mechanism* for achieving it.

    See also:
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  6. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    "Hillel" wrote in news:1167937503.643208.117320@
    51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

    > Would it be possible to make a symbolic link point to an environment
    > variable instead of a specific path name?

    You probably need to take a look at automount

    --
    Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
    activity available at the time.

  7. Re: Vary symbolic link by user

    Jose Pina Coelho writes:

    > "Hillel" wrote in news:1167937503.643208.117320@
    > 51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Would it be possible to make a symbolic link point to an environment
    >> variable instead of a specific path name?

    > You probably need to take a look at automount

    He probably doesn't, since automount doesn't solve his problem at all.
    If you think it does (and I am missing something), would you care
    to explain how it solves it?

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread