QUICKLY !! - Aix

This is a discussion on QUICKLY !! - Aix ; hola I have a periodically repeated error on my unix server, it's repeated each day at 15:00 and it is " THE LARGEST DUMP DEVICE IS TOO SMALL " how to deal with error like that and what is meant ...

  1. QUICKLY !!

    hola

    I have a periodically repeated error on my unix server, it's repeated
    each day at 15:00 and it is
    " THE LARGEST DUMP DEVICE IS TOO SMALL "
    how to deal with error like that and what is meant by " DUMP DEVICE "

    Gracias !

  2. Re: QUICKLY !!

    maw wrote:
    > I have a periodically repeated error on my unix server, it's repeated
    > each day at 15:00 and it is
    > " THE LARGEST DUMP DEVICE IS TOO SMALL "
    > how to deal with error like that and what is meant by " DUMP DEVICE "

    The dump device is where a copy your RAM is written if your system crashes
    (i.e., experiences a kernel panic). It is useful for later analyses as
    to the cause of the crash. The dump device is not needed during normal
    operation.

    In fact, by default the primary dump device is /dev/hd6, which is also
    a paging space. When the machine panics, it dumps its memory there.
    On the next system boot you have the option to save this dump to
    tape or somewhere else for later examination.

    The message you see is probably generated by the 'dumpcheck' command.
    See the man page for details.

    To fix the problem, you can either extend the current dump device or
    change the primary dump device to poit somewhere else where there is
    enough space.

    You examine your current settings with
    sysdumpdev -l

    You can change the primary dump device with
    sysdumpdev -p /dev/hd42

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

+ Reply to Thread