server refused to allocate pty - CIM server - Aix

This is a discussion on server refused to allocate pty - CIM server - Aix ; Hi, On two of our servers (AIX 5.3 both at different TL's) we get a 'server refused to allocate pty' error when we try and logon. When we first build them they are fine and I think its only once ...

  1. server refused to allocate pty - CIM server

    Hi,

    On two of our servers (AIX 5.3 both at different TL's) we get a 'server
    refused to allocate pty' error when we try and logon.

    When we first build them they are fine and I think its only once we put
    on CIM Server (which comes on the Expansion Pack and is something to do
    with monitoring DB2 I think) that these problems seem to occur.
    However this is just my best guess and it may not be related. It seems
    quite a coincidence otherwise though.

    Ive looked through google and it says about allocating extra pty's or
    remvoing and redefing the pty's etc but Im not sure if the posts I have
    found are quite correct for AIX 5.3.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check.

    Im using ssh to logon

    Ive also tried to reanble telnet in inetd (then refresh -s inetd) but a
    netstat -a doesnt even show it listening. This seems to also be
    related to the whole problem.

    Regards,
    Scott

  2. Re: server refused to allocate pty - CIM server

    scott_doyland@johnlewis.co.uk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On two of our servers (AIX 5.3 both at different TL's) we get a 'server
    > refused to allocate pty' error when we try and logon.
    >
    > When we first build them they are fine and I think its only once we put
    > on CIM Server (which comes on the Expansion Pack and is something to do
    > with monitoring DB2 I think) that these problems seem to occur.
    > However this is just my best guess and it may not be related. It seems
    > quite a coincidence otherwise though.
    >
    > Ive looked through google and it says about allocating extra pty's or
    > remvoing and redefing the pty's etc but Im not sure if the posts I have
    > found are quite correct for AIX 5.3.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check.
    >
    > Im using ssh to logon
    >
    > Ive also tried to reanble telnet in inetd (then refresh -s inetd) but a
    > netstat -a doesnt even show it listening. This seems to also be
    > related to the whole problem.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott

  3. Re: server refused to allocate pty - CIM server

    scott_doyland@johnlewis.co.uk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On two of our servers (AIX 5.3 both at different TL's) we get a 'server
    > refused to allocate pty' error when we try and logon.
    >
    > When we first build them they are fine and I think its only once we put
    > on CIM Server (which comes on the Expansion Pack and is something to do
    > with monitoring DB2 I think) that these problems seem to occur.
    > However this is just my best guess and it may not be related. It seems
    > quite a coincidence otherwise though.
    >
    > Ive looked through google and it says about allocating extra pty's or
    > remvoing and redefing the pty's etc but Im not sure if the posts I have
    > found are quite correct for AIX 5.3.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can check.
    >
    > Im using ssh to logon
    >
    > Ive also tried to reanble telnet in inetd (then refresh -s inetd) but a
    > netstat -a doesnt even show it listening. This seems to also be
    > related to the whole problem.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott

    Ive managed to track down the problem myself, a certain environment
    variable must be set when the CIM Server (cimserver) is installed, so
    in /etc/environment I set
    XPG_SUS_ENV=ON
    This caused my problem. Remvoing this line sorted it out.
    So I just need to set this variable before I run cimserver rather then
    put it in /etc/environement I expect.

    Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread