rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol - Aix

This is a discussion on rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol - Aix ; I am getting a really strange error as below: # rsh 172.20.199.75 rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol # rsh 127.0.0.1 date rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol # rlogin 172.20.199.75 rcmd2: socket: Addr family not ...

  1. rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol

    I am getting a really strange error as below:

    # rsh 172.20.199.75
    rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol

    # rsh 127.0.0.1 date
    rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol

    # rlogin 172.20.199.75
    rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol

    # rexec 172.20.199.75 date
    Name (mcsjl43l:root): root
    Password (mcsjl43l:root):
    rexec: bind: Addr family not supported by protocol

    I'm on AIX 5.3, Technology level 3:

    # oslevel -s
    5300-03-00

    Can anybody suggest any reason for this behaviour? Bit stumped.

    Thanks

    Chris

  2. Re: rcmd2: socket: Addr family not supported by protocol

    The answer turned out to be the XPG_SUS_ENV environment variable. This
    was put into /etc/environment. Removing it and rebooting has solved
    the problem.

+ Reply to Thread