Strange size of the folder - Aix

This is a discussion on Strange size of the folder - Aix ; Hi, I removed all the file from a directory. Still it's showing 13476 K bytes. Like below. mas:/fs/dm/dc>ls -la total 26960 drwxrwsrwx 2 Support support 13799424 Jan 3 01:13 ./ drwxrwsrwx 4 Support support 512 Jan 1 09:20 ../ mas:/fs/dm>du ...

  1. Strange size of the folder

    Hi,
    I removed all the file from a directory. Still it's showing
    13476 K bytes. Like below.

    mas:/fs/dm/dc>ls -la
    total 26960
    drwxrwsrwx 2 Support support 13799424 Jan 3 01:13 ./
    drwxrwsrwx 4 Support support 512 Jan 1 09:20 ../

    mas:/fs/dm>du -k
    13476 ./dc

    In the above lines, the dc directory contains no files. But, It's
    showing as 13476KB.

    It's a AIX 4.2 version box.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dattu

  2. Re: Strange size of the folder

    On 3 Jan 2007 04:15:57 -0800
    "rrr" wrote:

    > I removed all the file from a directory. Still it's showing
    > 13476 K bytes. Like below.
    >
    > mas:/fs/dm/dc>ls -la
    > total 26960
    > drwxrwsrwx 2 Support support 13799424 Jan 3 01:13 ./
    > drwxrwsrwx 4 Support support 512 Jan 1 09:20 ../
    >

    > mas:/fs/dm>du -k
    > 13476 ./dc
    >

    > In the above lines, the dc directory contains no files. But, It's
    > showing as 13476KB.
    >
    > It's a AIX 4.2 version box.

    A directory is also a file. Thus, if it needs to contain a large number
    of file entries, it will expanded to hold these entries. When you
    remove the files, the size of the directory file itself is not reduced.
    Simply remove the directory and re-create it to free the storage it
    uses.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --