port timeout - Aix

This is a discussion on port timeout - Aix ; I have an issue where it appears after 12 hours the UNIX side of a TCP port which has been receiving "keepalive" messages from the PC side no longer responds to that message. This causes the port to be closed ...

  1. port timeout

    I have an issue where it appears after 12 hours the UNIX side of a TCP
    port which has been receiving "keepalive" messages from the PC side no
    longer responds to that message. This causes the port to be closed as
    far as I can tell. I have a port monitoring program on the PC and the
    port goes away after 12 hours if the only traffic has been the
    keepalive messages. If the port sends a real message within 12 hours,
    the port does not close.

    It works on several systems but doesn't work on another. I was
    wondering if anyone could suggest some UNIX parameters I could look at
    to see if there is some "12 hour" idle limit which would cause the UNIX
    system not to respond..

    I'd appreciate it if you could also email the reply to
    esokol@cerner.com.

    Thanks in advance.
    Elly

  2. Re: port timeout

    esokol@cerner.com wrote:
    > I have an issue where it appears after 12 hours the UNIX side of a TCP
    > port which has been receiving "keepalive" messages from the PC side no
    > longer responds to that message. This causes the port to be closed as
    > far as I can tell. I have a port monitoring program on the PC and the
    > port goes away after 12 hours if the only traffic has been the
    > keepalive messages. If the port sends a real message within 12 hours,
    > the port does not close.
    >
    > It works on several systems but doesn't work on another. I was
    > wondering if anyone could suggest some UNIX parameters I could look at
    > to see if there is some "12 hour" idle limit which would cause the UNIX
    > system not to respond..

    AFAIK there's no "kill all open sockets after $TIME" parameter
    on Unix systems. Unless data transfer has ceased, that is. Session
    timeouts should all be handled by the server and client application.
    Please provide some more information on your environment: LAN vs.
    dialup? Firewall involved? Service/App./Protokoll used? If it is
    a predictable connection loss after 12h, i would also suggest to
    run tcpdump on the connection and truss on the server side app-
    process handling that particular connection. With tcpdump you'll
    be able to figure who is sending the FIN (Client or Server). With
    truss, you'll be able to see if/why the server process is ending
    the connection. Be aware, that tcpdump as well as truss produce
    large amounts of output.

    Regards,

    Frank

  3. Re: port timeout

    we got the same problem after upgrade aix .52 to tl0901. and it has
    been fixes by installing a fix. i cann't remember the apar number, but
    i will let you know when i come back to my office.

    Frank

    Frank Fegert wrote:
    > esokol@cerner.com wrote:
    > > I have an issue where it appears after 12 hours the UNIX side of a TCP
    > > port which has been receiving "keepalive" messages from the PC side no
    > > longer responds to that message. This causes the port to be closed as
    > > far as I can tell. I have a port monitoring program on the PC and the
    > > port goes away after 12 hours if the only traffic has been the
    > > keepalive messages. If the port sends a real message within 12 hours,
    > > the port does not close.
    > >
    > > It works on several systems but doesn't work on another. I was
    > > wondering if anyone could suggest some UNIX parameters I could look at
    > > to see if there is some "12 hour" idle limit which would cause the UNIX
    > > system not to respond..

    > AFAIK there's no "kill all open sockets after $TIME" parameter
    > on Unix systems. Unless data transfer has ceased, that is. Session
    > timeouts should all be handled by the server and client application.
    > Please provide some more information on your environment: LAN vs.
    > dialup? Firewall involved? Service/App./Protokoll used? If it is
    > a predictable connection loss after 12h, i would also suggest to
    > run tcpdump on the connection and truss on the server side app-
    > process handling that particular connection. With tcpdump you'll
    > be able to figure who is sending the FIN (Client or Server). With
    > truss, you'll be able to see if/why the server process is ending
    > the connection. Be aware, that tcpdump as well as truss produce
    > large amounts of output.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Frank

  4. Re: port timeout

    rs6000er wrote:
    > we got the same problem after upgrade aix .52 to tl0901. and it has
    > been fixes by installing a fix. i cann't remember the apar number, but
    > i will let you know when i come back to my office.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > Frank Fegert wrote:
    > > esokol@cerner.com wrote:
    > > > I have an issue where it appears after 12 hours the UNIX side of a TCP
    > > > port which has been receiving "keepalive" messages from the PC side no
    > > > longer responds to that message. This causes the port to be closed as
    > > > far as I can tell. I have a port monitoring program on the PC and the
    > > > port goes away after 12 hours if the only traffic has been the
    > > > keepalive messages. If the port sends a real message within 12 hours,
    > > > the port does not close.
    > > >
    > > > It works on several systems but doesn't work on another. I was
    > > > wondering if anyone could suggest some UNIX parameters I could look at
    > > > to see if there is some "12 hour" idle limit which would cause the UNIX
    > > > system not to respond..

    > > AFAIK there's no "kill all open sockets after $TIME" parameter
    > > on Unix systems. Unless data transfer has ceased, that is. Session
    > > timeouts should all be handled by the server and client application.
    > > Please provide some more information on your environment: LAN vs.
    > > dialup? Firewall involved? Service/App./Protokoll used? If it is
    > > a predictable connection loss after 12h, i would also suggest to
    > > run tcpdump on the connection and truss on the server side app-
    > > process handling that particular connection. With tcpdump you'll
    > > be able to figure who is sending the FIN (Client or Server). With
    > > truss, you'll be able to see if/why the server process is ending
    > > the connection. Be aware, that tcpdump as well as truss produce
    > > large amounts of output.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Frank

    Here's a recent APAR that is related to KEEPALIVE...could it be what
    you're looking for:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=isg1IY89429

    -tony

  5. Re: port timeout

    Tony's right

    bennett.tony@con-way.com wrote:
    > rs6000er wrote:
    > > we got the same problem after upgrade aix .52 to tl0901. and it has
    > > been fixes by installing a fix. i cann't remember the apar number, but
    > > i will let you know when i come back to my office.
    > >
    > > Frank
    > >
    > > Frank Fegert wrote:

    > > > AFAIK there's no "kill all open sockets after $TIME" parameter
    > > > on Unix systems. Unless data transfer has ceased, that is. Session
    > > > timeouts should all be handled by the server and client application.
    > > > Please provide some more information on your environment: LAN vs.
    > > > dialup? Firewall involved? Service/App./Protokoll used? If it is
    > > > a predictable connection loss after 12h, i would also suggest to
    > > > run tcpdump on the connection and truss on the server side app-
    > > > process handling that particular connection. With tcpdump you'll
    > > > be able to figure who is sending the FIN (Client or Server). With
    > > > truss, you'll be able to see if/why the server process is ending
    > > > the connection. Be aware, that tcpdump as well as truss produce
    > > > large amounts of output.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Frank

    > Here's a recent APAR that is related to KEEPALIVE...could it be what
    > you're looking for:
    > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=isg1IY89429
    >
    > -tony

  6. Re: port timeout

    Thanks so much to Tony! We found the APAR relating to 5.2. It is APAR
    IY89429. To find out what bos.net.tcp.client level I was at I used the
    command: lslpp -h bos.net.tcp.client.

    Thanks so much for all the help.

    Elly

    rs6000er wrote:
    > Tony's right
    >

    > bennett.tony@con-way.com wrote:
    > > rs6000er wrote:
    > > > we got the same problem after upgrade aix .52 to tl0901. and it has
    > > > been fixes by installing a fix. i cann't remember the apar number, but
    > > > i will let you know when i come back to my office.
    > > >
    > > > Frank

    > > Here's a recent APAR that is related to KEEPALIVE...could it be what
    > > you're looking for:
    > > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=isg1IY89429
    > >
    > > -tony

+ Reply to Thread