AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup - Aix ; I have a server with 3 interfaces: en0 - admin interface en1 - customer interface (Secondary) NO IPadd assigned en2 - customer interface (Primary) Present being used with IP address assigned Last night I set up entherchannel with en1 and ...

  1. AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    I have a server with 3 interfaces:
    en0 - admin interface
    en1 - customer interface (Secondary) NO IPadd assigned
    en2 - customer interface (Primary) Present being used with IP address
    assigned

    Last night I set up entherchannel with en1 and en2 to for a peudo en3.
    I used en2 as the primary adapter and en1 as the secondary (backup)
    adapter.
    Before doing this I detached en1 and en2.
    After configuration en3 came up. I could also see it when I ran
    ifconfig -a
    en1 and en2 stayed down and I could not bring it up.

    The network engineer stated that he could see traffic coming from en3
    but no traffic being sent from the network back to en3. I could not
    ping my default gateway either.

    Has anyone successfully configured etherchannel Network Interface
    Backup and can they provide me with some pointers on what I am missing.

    A good step by step instructions on setting this up will be very
    appreciated. I havent found a good one online yet.

    Questions for the group.
    Am I supposed to totally remove all the IP information from the 2
    interfaces en1 and en2

    Thanks in advance.

    Nick

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    On 2006-12-20, AZUNIX wrote:

    > Last night I set up entherchannel with en1 and en2 to for a peudo en3.
    > I used en2 as the primary adapter and en1 as the secondary (backup)
    > adapter.
    > Before doing this I detached en1 and en2.
    > After configuration en3 came up. I could also see it when I ran
    > ifconfig -a
    > en1 and en2 stayed down and I could not bring it up.

    This looks correct.

    > The network engineer stated that he could see traffic coming from en3
    > but no traffic being sent from the network back to en3. I could not
    > ping my default gateway either.

    What did the network engineer look at? Since en3 is the virtual interface,
    where did he look?

    > Has anyone successfully configured etherchannel Network Interface
    > Backup and can they provide me with some pointers on what I am missing.

    Yes, I have set up several of those and it works great. I don't know what
    you're missing, because what you describe here looks good. Provide some
    detailed output, that might help.

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency:
    You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  3. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    Hello Jurjen:

    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I did not save all the output
    from my "exercise" last night. I had to roll back to previous state.
    Below is the only output that I saved from last night showing that I
    couldnt bring en1 and en2 up. I am so sorry.

    The network engineers stated that he saw the traffic from the "core"
    which is probably his switch interface.
    Question for you:
    1. Should there be any sort or configuration details in en1 or en2 or
    should I leave them both blank of all configurations?
    2. Have you encountered the "unable to ping gateway" issue in the
    past? How did you resolve that issue.
    3. While speaking to the network engineer yesterday, he mentioned that
    he had the switch ports set to "auto negotiate" does that make a
    difference?

    Sorry about all the questions, it has been very difficult to find
    someone who has done this successfully. Even the IBM docs do not go
    into the nitty gritty of the process.

    I thank you very much. A documents that you can share will be
    appreciated.

    Cheers.

    Nick

    #####sb:/uhome/nicholas#

    COMMAND STATUS

    Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no

    Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.

    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgif):

    0514-086 Cannot perform the requested function because the
    specified

    device is not supported on this platform.

    0821-510 ifconfig: error calling entry point for
    /usr/lib/drivers/if_en: The specified device does n

    ot exist.

    0821-103 : The command /usr/sbin/ifconfig en2 inet arp mtu 1500 up
    failed.

    0821-229 chgif: ifconfig command failed.

    The status of"en2" Interface in the current running system is
    uncertain.

    Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no

    Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.

    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgif):

    0514-086 Cannot perform the requested function because the
    specified

    device is not supported on this platform.

    0821-510 ifconfig: error calling entry point for
    /usr/lib/drivers/if_en: The specified device does n

    ot exist.

    0821-103 : The command /usr/sbin/ifconfig en1 inet arp mtu 1500 up
    failed.

    0821-229 chgif: ifconfig command failed.

    The status of"en1" Interface in the current running system is
    uncertain.

    Jurjen Oskam wrote:
    > On 2006-12-20, AZUNIX wrote:
    >
    > > Last night I set up entherchannel with en1 and en2 to for a peudo en3.
    > > I used en2 as the primary adapter and en1 as the secondary (backup)
    > > adapter.
    > > Before doing this I detached en1 and en2.
    > > After configuration en3 came up. I could also see it when I ran
    > > ifconfig -a
    > > en1 and en2 stayed down and I could not bring it up.

    > This looks correct.
    >
    > > The network engineer stated that he could see traffic coming from en3
    > > but no traffic being sent from the network back to en3. I could not
    > > ping my default gateway either.

    > What did the network engineer look at? Since en3 is the virtual interface,
    > where did he look?
    >
    > > Has anyone successfully configured etherchannel Network Interface
    > > Backup and can they provide me with some pointers on what I am missing.

    > Yes, I have set up several of those and it works great. I don't know what
    > you're missing, because what you describe here looks good. Provide some
    > detailed output, that might help.
    >

    > --
    > Jurjen Oskam
    >
    > Savage's Law of Expediency:
    > You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  4. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    AZUNIX wrote:
> [...]
    > > > adapter.
    > > > Before doing this I detached en1 and en2.
    > > > After configuration en3 came up. I could also see it when I ran
    > > > ifconfig -a
    > > > en1 and en2 stayed down and I could not bring it up.

    > > This looks correct.
    > >
    > > > The network engineer stated that he could see traffic coming from en3
    > > > but no traffic being sent from the network back to en3. I could not
    > > > ping my default gateway either.

    > > What did the network engineer look at? Since en3 is the virtual interface,
    > > where did he look?
    > >
    > > > Has anyone successfully configured etherchannel Network Interface
    > > > Backup and can they provide me with some pointers on what I am missing.

    > > Yes, I have set up several of those and it works great. I don't know what
    > > you're missing, because what you describe here looks good. Provide some

    Hi,

    I dont put any IP config on en1 or en2. In your situaiton Id be
    inclined to rmdev en1 et1 ent1 and same for 2. Then cfgmgr. Then
    setup etherchannel as you describe and put all the Ip config on the new
    device that appears.

    We have all our servers setup like this.

    The you can run entstat -d enX (where X is new device) and you should
    see the status of the two deices making up the etherchanel. In my case
    (on my server Im looking at now), it shows both as up (ie Link Status
    up).

    Make sure you set the correct speed (autonegotiate or whatever) for the
    physical devices after running cfgmgr before setting up the
    etherchannel.

    Scott

    Scott

  5. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    On 2006-12-20, AZUNIX wrote:

    > 1. Should there be any sort or configuration details in en1 or en2 or
    > should I leave them both blank of all configurations?

    I'd leave them blank. You could rmdev -d all network adapters, and then run
    cfgmgr to make them available again, but without any configuration. Then,
    create the etherchannel again.

    > 2. Have you encountered the "unable to ping gateway" issue in the
    > past? How did you resolve that issue.

    Not in this context. But, you haven't shown that this problem occurs because
    of a problem in the etherchannel configuration. It might be somewhere else
    completely.

    > 3. While speaking to the network engineer yesterday, he mentioned that
    > he had the switch ports set to "auto negotiate" does that make a
    > difference?

    It could, but if the interface works in a non-etherchannel configuration
    this is unlikely.

    > I thank you very much. A documents that you can share will be
    > appreciated.

    I just used smitty to test it out, and then created some nimadapter NIM
    resources. I don't have any documentation, sorry.

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency:
    You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  6. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    AZUNIX wrote:
    > I have a server with 3 interfaces:
    > en0 - admin interface
    > en1 - customer interface (Secondary) NO IPadd assigned
    > en2 - customer interface (Primary) Present being used with IP address
    > assigned
    >
    > Last night I set up entherchannel with en1 and en2 to for a peudo en3.
    > I used en2 as the primary adapter and en1 as the secondary (backup)
    > adapter.
    > Before doing this I detached en1 and en2.
    > After configuration en3 came up. I could also see it when I ran
    > ifconfig -a
    > en1 and en2 stayed down and I could not bring it up.
    >
    > The network engineer stated that he could see traffic coming from en3
    > but no traffic being sent from the network back to en3. I could not
    > ping my default gateway either.
    >
    > Has anyone successfully configured etherchannel Network Interface
    > Backup and can they provide me with some pointers on what I am missing.
    >
    > A good step by step instructions on setting this up will be very
    > appreciated. I havent found a good one online yet.
    >
    > Questions for the group.
    > Am I supposed to totally remove all the IP information from the 2
    > interfaces en1 and en2
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Nick

    I've set up several of these as well but never had to detach the
    interfaces. Also you should not put IP information on en1 and en2, so
    yes you would remove info there if you put it there before.

  7. Re: AIX 5.3 Network Interface Backup and etherchannel setup

    Thanks a lot Folks for all your help. It's finally working now. This
    is what I did:

    1. executed rmdev -dl on en1 and en2

    2. executed cfgmgr. I got some errors so I went back and executed
    rmdev -dl on ent1,ent2 and et1 and et2 (they referenced the same
    devices)

    3. executed cfgmgr again - Got no errors.

    4. Setup etherchannel. > Smiity etherchannel - this created en3. See
    below for configuration entries.

    5. Configured en3. > smitty chinet > selected en3

    6. Executed route add -net default default GW IP address

    7. Pinged my default Gateway to make sure I can see it.

    8. Tested configuration by pulling network cables on the 2
    etherchannel interfaces(concurrently and both at the same time) and
    watching traffic.

    Below are excerpts of configuration details.
    etherchannel configuration:
    Change / Show Characteristics of an EtherChannel / Link Aggregation

    Type or select values in entry fields.
    Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

    [Entry Fields]
    EtherChannel / Link Aggregation ent3
    EtherChannel / Link Aggregation Adapters ent1,ent2
    +
    Backup Adapter NONE
    +
    Automatically Recover to Main Channel yes
    +
    Delete Backup Adapter
    +
    Add Main Adapter
    +
    Delete Main Adapter
    +
    Add Backup Adapter
    +
    Enable Alternate Address no
    +
    Alternate Address [0x000000000000]
    +
    Enable Gigabit Ethernet Jumbo Frames no
    +
    Mode standard
    +
    Hash Mode default
    +
    Internet Address to Ping []
    Number of Retries [3]
    +#
    Retry Timeout (sec) [1]
    +#
    Apply change to DATABASE only no
    +

    en3 etherchannel configuration:

    Change / Show a Standard Ethernet Interface

    Type or select values in entry fields.
    Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

    [Entry Fields]
    Network Interface Name en3
    INTERNET ADDRESS (dotted decimal) [xxx.xxx.xxx.29]
    Network MASK (hexadecimal or dotted decimal) [255.255.255.0]
    Current STATE up
    +
    Use Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)? yes
    +
    BROADCAST ADDRESS (dotted decimal) []
    Interface Specific Network Options
    ('NULL' will unset the option)
    rfc1323 []
    tcp_mssdflt []
    tcp_nodelay []
    tcp_recvspace []
    tcp_sendspace []
    Apply change to DATABASE only no
    +

    en1 etherchannel configuration:
    Change / Show a Standard Ethernet Interface

    Type or select values in entry fields.
    Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

    [Entry Fields]
    Network Interface Name en1
    INTERNET ADDRESS (dotted decimal) []
    Network MASK (hexadecimal or dotted decimal) []
    Current STATE down
    +
    Use Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)? yes
    +
    BROADCAST ADDRESS (dotted decimal) []
    Interface Specific Network Options
    ('NULL' will unset the option)
    rfc1323 []
    tcp_mssdflt []
    tcp_nodelay []
    tcp_recvspace []
    tcp_sendspace []
    Apply change to DATABASE only no
    +

    en2 etherchannel Configuration:
    Change / Show a Standard Ethernet Interface

    Type or select values in entry fields.
    Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

    [Entry Fields]
    Network Interface Name en2
    INTERNET ADDRESS (dotted decimal) []
    Network MASK (hexadecimal or dotted decimal) []
    Current STATE down
    +
    Use Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)? yes
    +
    BROADCAST ADDRESS (dotted decimal) []
    Interface Specific Network Options
    ('NULL' will unset the option)
    rfc1323 []
    tcp_mssdflt []
    tcp_nodelay []
    tcp_recvspace []
    tcp_sendspace []
    Apply change to DATABASE only no
    +

    asasasb:/uhome/nnnnnn# ifconfig -a
    en0:
    flags=5e080863,c0
    inet xxx.xx.xx.229 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast xxx.xx.xx.255
    en3:
    flags=5e080863,c0
    inet xxx.xxx.xxx.29 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
    xxx.xxx.xxx.255
    lo0:
    flags=e08084b
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 127.255.255.255
    inet6 ::1/0
    tcp_sendspace 131072 tcp_recvspace 131072 rfc1323 1
    asasasb:/uhome/nnnnnnn#

+ Reply to Thread