automatic form feed on laserjet printer - Aix

This is a discussion on automatic form feed on laserjet printer - Aix ; Using AIX 5.3L Priting from an application called Unform, which sends a PCL formatted print job to a print queue. The printer is an HP 1022nw, connected as an hpJetDirect/hewlett-packard/hplj-4+ printer. These are the current print options: Print QUALITY 600 ...

  1. automatic form feed on laserjet printer

    Using AIX 5.3L
    Priting from an application called Unform, which sends a PCL formatted
    print job to a print queue.

    The printer is an HP 1022nw, connected as an
    hpJetDirect/hewlett-packard/hplj-4+ printer.

    These are the current print options:
    Print QUALITY 600 +

    ----------- Job Processing Options ------------
    PAGE NUMBER where printing should begin [1] +#
    Print file TYPE p +
    Pre-processing FILTER NAME [] +
    INITIALIZE printer? no initialization +
    RESTORE printer? yes +

    ----------- Text Formatting Options -----------
    TOP MARGIN (lines) [0] +#
    BOTTOM MARGIN (lines) [0] +#
    Number of columns to INDENT [0] +#
    WRAP long lines? no +
    Add LINE FEED or CARRIAGE RETURN LF->CRLF VT->CRVT +
    CODE PAGE of print file [ISO8859-1] +
    TITLE STRING for 'pr' filter []
    LINES per page [00] +#
    COLUMNS per page [255] +#

    ------------- Paper/Page Options --------------
    Page ORIENTATION portrait +
    Input PAPER SOURCE standard 250-sheet ca> +
    PAPER SIZE override for input paper source letter +
    DUPLEX output simplex (single-sided> +

    --------- Header/Trailer Page Options ---------
    SEPARATOR PAGES none +
    HOSTNAME for "PRINTED AT:" on HEADER PAGE []

    ------------- Messages/Diagnostics ------------
    DIAGNOSTIC LEVEL (normal) - print job;> +

    The print job prints fine, but after each job I get a blank page. Is
    there a configuration switch somewhere that will stop that from
    happening? If I configure the printer as a generic/ascii printer, I get
    an option to disable sending a form feed when the job is done, but that
    option doesn't exist when configuring the printer as a laserjet. I
    suppose I could just set the printer up as generic/ascii, but I was
    wondering if there is a setting I'm missing that would let me set it up
    as a laserjet, since that's what it is...

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: automatic form feed on laserjet printer

    Tim Wunder wrote:
    > Using AIX 5.3L
    > Priting from an application called Unform, which sends a PCL formatted
    > print job to a print queue.
    >
    > The printer is an HP 1022nw, connected as an
    > hpJetDirect/hewlett-packard/hplj-4+ printer.
    >
    > These are the current print options:
    > Print QUALITY 600 +
    >
    > ----------- Job Processing Options ------------
    > PAGE NUMBER where printing should begin [1] +#
    > Print file TYPE p +
    > Pre-processing FILTER NAME [] +
    > INITIALIZE printer? no initialization +
    > RESTORE printer? yes +
    >
    > ----------- Text Formatting Options -----------
    > TOP MARGIN (lines) [0] +#
    > BOTTOM MARGIN (lines) [0] +#
    > Number of columns to INDENT [0] +#
    > WRAP long lines? no +
    > Add LINE FEED or CARRIAGE RETURN LF->CRLF VT->CRVT +
    > CODE PAGE of print file [ISO8859-1] +
    > TITLE STRING for 'pr' filter []
    > LINES per page [00] +#
    > COLUMNS per page [255] +#
    >
    > ------------- Paper/Page Options --------------
    > Page ORIENTATION portrait +
    > Input PAPER SOURCE standard 250-sheet ca> +
    > PAPER SIZE override for input paper source letter +
    > DUPLEX output simplex (single-sided> +
    >
    > --------- Header/Trailer Page Options ---------
    > SEPARATOR PAGES none +
    > HOSTNAME for "PRINTED AT:" on HEADER PAGE []
    >
    > ------------- Messages/Diagnostics ------------
    > DIAGNOSTIC LEVEL (normal) - print job;> +
    >

    > The print job prints fine, but after each job I get a blank page. Is
    > there a configuration switch somewhere that will stop that from
    > happening? If I configure the printer as a generic/ascii printer, I get
    > an option to disable sending a form feed when the job is done, but that
    > option doesn't exist when configuring the printer as a laserjet. I
    > suppose I could just set the printer up as generic/ascii, but I was
    > wondering if there is a setting I'm missing that would let me set it up
    > as a laserjet, since that's what it is...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Have you tried changing 'RESTORE printer' to no? I think the restore
    sends a form feed as part of restoring the printer. I have my HP
    printers set to no for this option for just this reason.

  3. Re: automatic form feed on laserjet printer

    On 12/19/2006 2:43 PM, I believe that Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > Tim Wunder wrote:
    >> Using AIX 5.3L
    >> Priting from an application called Unform, which sends a PCL formatted
    >> print job to a print queue.
    >>
    >> The printer is an HP 1022nw, connected as an
    >> hpJetDirect/hewlett-packard/hplj-4+ printer.
    >>
    >> These are the current print options:

    >> The print job prints fine, but after each job I get a blank page. Is
    >> there a configuration switch somewhere that will stop that from
    >> happening? If I configure the printer as a generic/ascii printer, I get
    >> an option to disable sending a form feed when the job is done, but that
    >> option doesn't exist when configuring the printer as a laserjet. I
    >> suppose I could just set the printer up as generic/ascii, but I was
    >> wondering if there is a setting I'm missing that would let me set it up
    >> as a laserjet, since that's what it is...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim

    > Have you tried changing 'RESTORE printer' to no? I think the restore
    > sends a form feed as part of restoring the printer. I have my HP
    > printers set to no for this option for just this reason.

    Hadn't tried that, no. Just did, and no change.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  4. Re: automatic form feed on laserjet printer

    Tim Wunder wrote:
    > On 12/19/2006 2:43 PM, I believe that Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    >> Tim Wunder wrote:
    >>> Using AIX 5.3L
    >>> Priting from an application called Unform, which sends a PCL formatted
    >>> print job to a print queue.
    >>>
    >>> The printer is an HP 1022nw, connected as an
    >>> hpJetDirect/hewlett-packard/hplj-4+ printer.
    >>>
    >>> These are the current print options:

    >>> The print job prints fine, but after each job I get a blank page. Is
    >>> there a configuration switch somewhere that will stop that from
    >>> happening? If I configure the printer as a generic/ascii printer, I get
    >>> an option to disable sending a form feed when the job is done, but that
    >>> option doesn't exist when configuring the printer as a laserjet. I
    >>> suppose I could just set the printer up as generic/ascii, but I was
    >>> wondering if there is a setting I'm missing that would let me set it up
    >>> as a laserjet, since that's what it is...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Tim

    >> Have you tried changing 'RESTORE printer' to no? I think the restore
    >> sends a form feed as part of restoring the printer. I have my HP
    >> printers set to no for this option for just this reason.

    > Hadn't tried that, no. Just did, and no change.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    The only other thing to check is to see if the program sending the job
    to the printer is adding the extra form feed. There may be a
    configuration file to control this.
    Just out of curiosity, when you made the change above did you stop and
    restart the print queue to see if that made any difference?

  5. Re: automatic form feed on laserjet printer

    On 12/19/2006 4:20 PM, I believe that Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > Tim Wunder wrote:

    >>> Have you tried changing 'RESTORE printer' to no? I think the restore
    >>> sends a form feed as part of restoring the printer. I have my HP
    >>> printers set to no for this option for just this reason.

    >> Hadn't tried that, no. Just did, and no change.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim

    > The only other thing to check is to see if the program sending the job
    > to the printer is adding the extra form feed. There may be a
    > configuration file to control this.

    Not that I'm aware of, but I'll ask the software guy...

    > Just out of curiosity, when you made the change above did you stop and
    > restart the print queue to see if that made any difference?

    No, but I've made changes to the printer settings and had them take
    effect without doing that. For grins, I just restarted the qdaemon, and
    lpd, with no change in the results. Not a big deal. I'll either live
    with the blank pages, or change the printer to a generic/ascii printer
    if someone doesn't feed me the magic potion...

    Thanks for trying

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread