packed decimal !! - Aix

This is a discussion on packed decimal !! - Aix ; Hi all, can some body suggest functions to emulate HP-3000 decimal packed operations on AIX? Any open source /AIX library functions available to achieve similar results?? what I mean to say is, some thing similar to these functions on HP-UX, ...

  1. packed decimal !!

    Hi all,

    can some body suggest functions to emulate HP-3000 decimal packed
    operations on AIX? Any open source /AIX library functions available to
    achieve similar results?? what I mean to say is,
    some thing similar to these functions on HP-UX,

    http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60105/hppac.3X.html

    Thanks in advance,
    Sree

  2. Re: packed decimal !!

    Sree wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > can some body suggest functions to emulate HP-3000 decimal packed
    > operations on AIX? Any open source /AIX library functions available to
    > achieve similar results?? what I mean to say is,
    > some thing similar to these functions on HP-UX,
    >
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60105/hppac.3X.html
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sree

    I think you are better off writing the two conversion functions
    and doing all of the arithmetic in longs or doubles. I thought this
    debate ended around 1975. Are there still people worrying
    whether decimal arithmetic is "more accurate"?

    -- S

  3. Re: packed decimal !!

    smallpond@juno.com schrieb:

    > Sree wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > can some body suggest functions to emulate HP-3000 decimal packed
    > > operations on AIX? Any open source /AIX library functions available to
    > > achieve similar results?? what I mean to say is,
    > > some thing similar to these functions on HP-UX,
    > >
    > > http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60105/hppac.3X.html
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Sree

    > I think you are better off writing the two conversion functions
    > and doing all of the arithmetic in longs or doubles. I thought this
    > debate ended around 1975. Are there still people worrying
    > whether decimal arithmetic is "more accurate"?
    >
    > -- S

    BTW... POWER6 will have decimal arithmetic built into the processor
    cores in order to speed up typical commercial operations.

+ Reply to Thread