Booting Problem 7029-8E3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Booting Problem 7029-8E3 - Aix ; Hi all, we have a pSeries type 7029-8E3 in our lab. after a power shutdown, booting freezes with the code 4B23271C. I could not find anything in the web regarding this. Can anyone please help regarding this? krishnan...

  1. Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    Hi all,
    we have a pSeries type 7029-8E3 in our lab. after a power shutdown,
    booting freezes with the code 4B23271C. I could not find anything in
    the web regarding this. Can anyone please help regarding this?
    krishnan

  2. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    On 19 Dec 2006 03:53:42 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >we have a pSeries type 7029-8E3 in our lab. after a power shutdown,
    >booting freezes with the code 4B23271C. I could not find anything in
    >the web regarding this. Can anyone please help regarding this?
    >krishnan

    4B23 271C
    deconfigured a processor. Do the following: 1. Go to the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, located under the
    system information menu in the service processor menus. Look at the status of the processors. If any of the processors
    have a status of manually deconfigured, reconfigure the processor(s) and boot the system to the SMS menus. Power off the
    system using the white power button and look again at the status of the processors. If all of the processors are still
    configured in the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, the problem has been resolved. If any of the processors
    have a status of deconfigured by the system, either before or after the boot to the SMS menus, go to step 2. 2. Replace
    the processor card (on which the deconfigured processor resides) specified by the location code.

    direct form service manual for 7029-6E3

  3. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    Andy wrote:
    > On 19 Dec 2006 03:53:42 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >we have a pSeries type 7029-8E3 in our lab. after a power shutdown,
    > >booting freezes with the code 4B23271C. I could not find anything in
    > >the web regarding this. Can anyone please help regarding this?
    > >krishnan

    > 4B23 271C
    > deconfigured a processor. Do the following: 1. Go to the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, located under the
    > system information menu in the service processor menus. Look at the status of the processors. If any of the processors
    > have a status of manually deconfigured, reconfigure the processor(s) and boot the system to the SMS menus. Power off the
    > system using the white power button and look again at the status of the processors. If all of the processors are still
    > configured in the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, the problem has been resolved. If any of the processors
    > have a status of deconfigured by the system, either before or after the boot to the SMS menus, go to step 2. 2. Replace
    > the processor card (on which the deconfigured processor resides) specified by the location code.
    >
    > direct form service manual for 7029-6E3

    Hi Andy,
    Many thanks for the response. i have done the following:
    when the machine freezes during the booting process with the above
    message,i have shut down the machine using the white power button and
    restarted it.
    as you would have understood, the machine does not even reach the SMS
    menu stage; hence i do not understand how to check the processor
    status. how should one do this?
    moreover, i do not understand how this happened suddenly and all by
    itself; no one was tinkering with the machine!
    krishnan

  4. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    v.srikrishnan@gmail.com wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    >> On 19 Dec 2006 03:53:42 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:

    <<<< stuff snipped >>>>
    >> system information menu in the service processor menus. Look at the status of the processors. If any of the processors
    >> have a status of manually deconfigured, reconfigure the processor(s) and boot the system to the SMS menus. Power off the

    <<<< stuff snipped >>>>

    >> direct form service manual for 7029-6E3

    > Hi Andy,
    > Many thanks for the response. i have done the following:
    > when the machine freezes during the booting process with the above
    > message,i have shut down the machine using the white power button and
    > restarted it.
    > as you would have understood, the machine does not even reach the SMS
    > menu stage; hence i do not understand how to check the processor
    > status. how should one do this?
    > moreover, i do not understand how this happened suddenly and all by
    > itself; no one was tinkering with the machine!
    > krishnan

    Krishnan,
    Note the place in Andy's quote that says "SERVICE PROCESSOR MENUS"
    (upper case for emphasis, not yelling :-} ) - which is accessed with the
    system powered off (and leaving the the power cord PLUGGED IN...the
    system is in "standby" mode at this point...the power light on the Op
    panel SHOULD be blinking also). If you have a console attached
    correctly (or correctly connected to an HMC, as applicable) you SHOULD
    see the "SP" (Service Processor) menu...the SMS menus are accessed AFTER
    the SP menus and while the system is powering up.

    HTH some :-) and I stand to be corrected since it's been a few months
    since I've had my "foot in it" :-P

    Paul

  5. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    On 20 Dec 2006 00:30:34 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:

    >Andy wrote:
    >> On 19 Dec 2006 03:53:42 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi all,
    >> >we have a pSeries type 7029-8E3 in our lab. after a power shutdown,
    >> >booting freezes with the code 4B23271C. I could not find anything in
    >> >the web regarding this. Can anyone please help regarding this?
    >> >krishnan

    >> 4B23 271C
    >> deconfigured a processor. Do the following: 1. Go to the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, located under the
    >> system information menu in the service processor menus. Look at the status of the processors. If any of the processors
    >> have a status of manually deconfigured, reconfigure the processor(s) and boot the system to the SMS menus. Power off the
    >> system using the white power button and look again at the status of the processors. If all of the processors are still
    >> configured in the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, the problem has been resolved. If any of the processors
    >> have a status of deconfigured by the system, either before or after the boot to the SMS menus, go to step 2. 2. Replace
    >> the processor card (on which the deconfigured processor resides) specified by the location code.
    >>
    >> direct form service manual for 7029-6E3

    >Hi Andy,
    >Many thanks for the response. i have done the following:
    >when the machine freezes during the booting process with the above
    >message,i have shut down the machine using the white power button and
    >restarted it.
    >as you would have understood, the machine does not even reach the SMS
    >menu stage; hence i do not understand how to check the processor
    >status. how should one do this?
    >moreover, i do not understand how this happened suddenly and all by
    >itself; no one was tinkering with the machine!
    >krishnan

    did you check the service processor menus were any processors deconfigured

    It has you go to the service processor menus first this in done by having a ascii terminal or a laptop with a null
    modem cable connected to the s1 port . use hyperterm system should not be powered on you should be able to hit any key
    and get to the service processor menus if you can reconfigure the processors and then boot to SMS then power off the
    system and check the processors agin in the service processors menu if it fails to boot to sms you most likly have a bad
    processor card. but you may want to check the service processor error logs to see if there are any other errors.

    happening by itself kind of indicates you have lost a processor bd. and need to call your service provider.
    The service guide can be found at this url.
    http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pser...pdf/380630.pdf

  6. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    Hi Andy & "dohh",
    many thanks for the responses & the link. As you would have understood
    by now, i am a complete novice as far as pSeries is concerned. so i
    apologise for any obvious questions/doubts & also the CAPS would be
    justified! Also, I have to combine my phd work with sysadmin work in
    the lab where there are mostly assembled machines.
    However, when i did as suggested(powering off but not removing the
    power supply), there is nothing in the connected monitor. the monitor
    is completely blank except for the indicator light showing it is
    connected to power supply. i think that there is a particular slot to
    which the monitor should be connected; i shall go through the manual in
    detail during the weekend.
    in the meantime, i would of course be grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks & apologies again,
    krishnan
    Andy wrote:
    > On 20 Dec 2006 00:30:34 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:
    >

    > >Andy wrote:

    > >> 4B23 271C
    > >> deconfigured a processor. Do the following: 1. Go to the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, located under the
    > >> system information menu in the service processor menus. Look at the status of the processors. If any of the processors
    > >> have a status of manually deconfigured, reconfigure the processor(s) and boot the system to the SMS menus. Power off the
    > >> system using the white power button and look again at the status of the processors. If all of the processors are still
    > >> configured in the processor configuration/deconfiguration menu, the problem has been resolved. If any of the processors
    > >> have a status of deconfigured by the system, either before or after the boot to the SMS menus, go to step 2. 2. Replace
    > >> the processor card (on which the deconfigured processor resides) specified by the location code.
    > >>
    > >> direct form service manual for 7029-6E3

    > >Hi Andy,
    > >Many thanks for the response. i have done the following:
    > >when the machine freezes during the booting process with the above
    > >message,i have shut down the machine using the white power button and
    > >restarted it.
    > >as you would have understood, the machine does not even reach the SMS
    > >menu stage; hence i do not understand how to check the processor
    > >status. how should one do this?
    > >moreover, i do not understand how this happened suddenly and all by
    > >itself; no one was tinkering with the machine!
    > >krishnan

    > did you check the service processor menus were any processors deconfigured
    >
    > It has you go to the service processor menus first this in done by having a ascii terminal or a laptop with a null
    > modem cable connected to the s1 port . use hyperterm system should not be powered on you should be able to hit any key
    > and get to the service processor menus if you can reconfigure the processors and then boot to SMS then power off the
    > system and check the processors agin in the service processors menu if it fails to boot to sms you most likly have a bad
    > processor card. but you may want to check the service processor error logs to see if there are any other errors.
    >
    > happening by itself kind of indicates you have lost a processor bd. and need to call your service provider.
    > The service guide can be found at this url.
    > http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pser...pdf/380630.pdf

  7. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    v.srikrishnan@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Andy & "dohh",
    > many thanks for the responses & the link. As you would have understood
    > by now, i am a complete novice as far as pSeries is concerned. so i
    > apologise for any obvious questions/doubts & also the CAPS would be
    > justified! Also, I have to combine my phd work with sysadmin work in
    > the lab where there are mostly assembled machines.
    > However, when i did as suggested(powering off but not removing the
    > power supply), there is nothing in the connected monitor. the monitor
    > is completely blank except for the indicator light showing it is
    > connected to power supply. i think that there is a particular slot to
    > which the monitor should be connected; i shall go through the manual in
    > detail during the weekend.
    > in the meantime, i would of course be grateful for any suggestions.
    > Thanks & apologies again,
    > krishnan
    > Andy wrote:
    > > On 20 Dec 2006 00:30:34 -0800, "v.srikrishnan@gmail.com" wrote:

    You want the s1 serial port connection
    Picture of unit: page 13 of pdf

    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp0160.pdf

    > > >Hi Andy,
    > > >Many thanks for the response. i have done the following:
    > > >when the machine freezes during the booting process with the above
    > > >message,i have shut down the machine using the white power button and
    > > >restarted it.
    > > >as you would have understood, the machine does not even reach the SMS
    > > >menu stage; hence i do not understand how to check the processor
    > > >status. how should one do this?
    > > >moreover, i do not understand how this happened suddenly and all by
    > > >itself; no one was tinkering with the machine!
    > > >krishnan

    > > did you check the service processor menus were any processors deconfigured
    > >
    > > It has you go to the service processor menus first this in done by having a ascii terminal or a laptop with a null
    > > modem cable connected to the s1 port . use hyperterm system should not be powered on you should be able to hit any key
    > > and get to the service processor menus if you can reconfigure the processors and then boot to SMS then power off the
    > > system and check the processors agin in the service processors menu if it fails to boot to sms you most likly have a bad
    > > processor card. but you may want to check the service processor error logs to see if there are any other errors.
    > >
    > > happening by itself kind of indicates you have lost a processor bd. and need to call your service provider.
    > > The service guide can be found at this url.
    > > http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pser...pdf/380630.pdf

  8. Re: Booting Problem 7029-8E3

    Hi all,
    thanks for the replies. i had sometime & tried to rectify the problem.
    here is what i did.
    i got some information from:
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/infocent.../asciitype.htm
    Firstly i did not get anything like:
    "# Connect the power cord from the server to a power source, and wait
    for the control panel to display 01." i only got an "OK"; a blinking
    green light and a steady amber light.
    Next, i connected things as mentioned and got no response from the
    server. i saw that there were no incoming packets.
    So here i am, back to square zero.
    This is a forum for technical discussion only; however i must express
    my disappointment with IBM, at least the local engineers who are not
    even aware of what NIS/NFS is! seeing the lack of support my advisor
    has asked me to junk the system but i am trying to get it up; since it
    has cost us a hell of a lot to be junked just like that.
    anyways, if anyone has any further suggestions please let me know
    otherwise i guess we have to junk this.
    sorry for the rant but this is at the end of a hard day.
    krishnan

+ Reply to Thread