tar command and DVD - Aix

This is a discussion on tar command and DVD - Aix ; Hi Guys I am wondering that is there any way where we can write to DVD RAM cartridges in UDF format or ISO-xxx format using tar command. I need to save my data ( which are relgular application log files ...

  1. tar command and DVD

    Hi Guys

    I am wondering that is there any way where we can write to DVD RAM
    cartridges in UDF format or ISO-xxx format using tar command.

    I need to save my data ( which are relgular application log files ) to
    DVD and i preferably want to use tar or other traditional UNIX commands
    .... I know one way of doing that is using AIX sysback tool from IBM but
    problem is that i have large filesystems to be backedup and sysback
    always create big temporary filesystems, for which i have no space in
    rootvg or my other external vg ...

    My environment is AIX 5.2

    Please advice

    Polani

  2. Re: tar command and DVD

    Polani wrote:
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I am wondering that is there any way where we can write to DVD RAM
    > cartridges in UDF format or ISO-xxx format using tar command.
    >
    > I need to save my data ( which are relgular application log files ) to
    > DVD and i preferably want to use tar or other traditional UNIX commands
    > ... I know one way of doing that is using AIX sysback tool from IBM but
    > problem is that i have large filesystems to be backedup and sysback
    > always create big temporary filesystems, for which i have no space in
    > rootvg or my other external vg ...
    >
    > My environment is AIX 5.2
    >

    > Please advice
    >

    > Polani

    Look at mkisofs and cdrecord

  3. Re: tar command and DVD

    Polani schrieb:

    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I am wondering that is there any way where we can write to DVD RAM
    > cartridges in UDF format or ISO-xxx format using tar command.
    >
    > I need to save my data ( which are relgular application log files ) to
    > DVD and i preferably want to use tar or other traditional UNIX commands
    > ... I know one way of doing that is using AIX sysback tool from IBM but
    > problem is that i have large filesystems to be backedup and sysback
    > always create big temporary filesystems, for which i have no space in
    > rootvg or my other external vg ...
    >
    > My environment is AIX 5.2
    >

    > Please advice
    >

    > Polani