refreshing inetd - Aix

This is a discussion on refreshing inetd - Aix ; I have changed a port from say 30000 to 30001 in /etc/services and did a "refresh -s inetd" but when I check "netstat -an |grep 30000" it still shows up as listening at port 30000. I have even tried "stopsrc ...

  1. refreshing inetd

    I have changed a port from say 30000 to 30001 in /etc/services and did
    a "refresh -s inetd" but when I check "netstat -an |grep 30000" it
    still shows up as listening at port 30000. I have even tried "stopsrc
    -s inetd; startsrc -s inetd" just to make sure it truly refreshes it
    but it is still listening at port 30000. Any ideas on how to rectify
    this issue? I am on AIX 5.2, thanks for any suggestions

  2. Re: refreshing inetd

    changing /etc/services doesn't change the service's behaviour. You
    need to modify the daemon either through SRC or a config file:
    startsrc -s snmpd -a "-p 11161"
    netstat -an | egrep '\*\.11161'
    udp4 0 0 *.11161 *.*

    aixtest /etc/ssh >cat ssh*_config | egrep -i 'port'
    # Port 22
    #Port 22

    On Dec 15, 12:55 pm, "Mel" wrote:
    > I have changed a port from say 30000 to 30001 in /etc/services and did
    > a "refresh -s inetd" but when I check "netstat -an |grep 30000" it
    > still shows up as listening at port 30000. I have even tried "stopsrc
    > -s inetd; startsrc -s inetd" just to make sure it truly refreshes it
    > but it is still listening at port 30000. Any ideas on how to rectify
    > this issue? I am on AIX 5.2, thanks for any suggestions

  3. Re: refreshing inetd

    My apologies, inetd controlled subsystems do operate that way...what
    exactly is it that you're trying to change? is it actually controlled
    by inetd?

    for the record I changed ftp to a different port in /etc/services,
    refreshed inetd and ftp was now listening on the new port, so it worked
    fine.

    With the advent of ssh I don't use (or run) any of the inetd controlled
    services anymore, so sorry for the quick (semi-incorrect) response.

  4. Re: refreshing inetd

    Mel wrote:

    > I have changed a port from say 30000 to 30001 in /etc/services and did
    > a "refresh -s inetd" but when I check "netstat -an |grep 30000" it
    > still shows up as listening at port 30000. I have even tried "stopsrc
    > -s inetd; startsrc -s inetd" just to make sure it truly refreshes it
    > but it is still listening at port 30000. Any ideas on how to rectify
    > this issue? I am on AIX 5.2, thanks for any suggestions

    in UNIX you would use this command: kill -HUP

+ Reply to Thread