Folks,

I am having trouble with lp command and cups on a AIX system.

I compiled CUPS 1.2.7 on AIX system and defined a test printer/class in
CUPS. I also have several print queues defined on the same AIX system that
print directly to the printer, and one test queue that prints using CUPS.

AIX 5.3
(aixsystem) (islp)
+------------------+ +-----------+
|queue1 | Network | |
|queue2 |----------->| |
|queue2 | | Printer |
| | | |
| ****** | | |
|queue4---->*CUPS* |----------->| |
| ****** | | |
+------------------+ +-----------+

When I use lp command to print to queue1, queue2 and queue3, it sends the
file to the printer, but when I print to the queue4 I get following
message on root console and queue status is changed to DOWN:

[[shah]]/home/shah:
# /bin/lp -d queue4 ~/tmp/y
Job number is: 347

Message from queueing system:
0781-075 Qdaemon couldn't exec /usr/lib/lpd/rembak.
Errno = 13: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.

Why am I having trouble running /usr/lib/lpd/rembak for one print queue
but not the other.

Here are the definitions on queue1 and queue4:

queue1:
device = @islp
up = TRUE
host = islp
s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixshort
l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixlong
rq = network
@islp:
backend = /usr/lib/lpd/rembak

queue4:
device = @aixsystem
up = TRUE
host = aixsystem
s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdshort
l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdlong
rq = islp_cups
@aixsystem
backend = /usr/lib/lpd/rembak

In CUPS the class is defined as follows:

Info IS Printer
Location Behind Chuck's Desk
State Stopped
StateMessage Paused
StateTime 1166030007
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
Printer Xerox_WorkCentre_245_10.10.30.27
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job

If I use the lp command that was compiled with CUPS without specifying
hostname I get following error:

# /usr/local/bin/lp -d islp_cups ~/tmp/y
/usr/local/bin/lp: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

If I specify the remote host name then it works, and the file is sent to
appropriate CUPS queue:

# /usr/local/bin/lp -h aixsystem -d islp_cups ~/tmp/y
request id is islp_cups-8 (1 file(s))

What am I doing wrong? How do I run CUPS on AIX system?

lpd is running on the system:

[[hshah in cfgdev1]]/home/hshah:
# lssrc -g spooler
Subsystem Group PID Status
qdaemon spooler 1712218 active
writesrv spooler 1745152 active
lpd spooler 503878 active

# ls -l /usr/sbin/lpd
-r-sr-s--- 1 root printq 72968 Nov 11 2005 /usr/sbin/lpd

# ls -l /usr/lib/lpd/rembak
-r-sr-x--- 1 root printq 69538 Oct 06 2005 /usr/lib/lpd/rembak

# ls -l /bin/lp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 15 Nov 03 2005 /bin/lp -> /usr/aix/bin/lp

# ls -l /usr/aix/bin/lp
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 33796 Jul 08 2005 /usr/aix/bin/lp

I want to migrate all the print queues to CUPS running on same system.

I have another AIX 5.3 system at another site where CUPS is running on a
Linux system and the print queues are defined to print to the remote CUPS
system and it works fine. Here is an example of queue definition of the
queue that prints to CUPS running on Linux:

pspr453a_1:
device = @printersrv
up = TRUE
host = lidp_printer