windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14 - Aix

This is a discussion on windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14 - Aix ; [ Posted to comp.lang.tcl a few days ago, but no one responded. I've since rebuilt tcl/tk on AIX 5.2, but the window-2.9 test still hangs. I'm using the (rather old) vac.C compiler, version 5.0.2.8. Has anyone out there in AIX ...

  1. windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14

    [ Posted to comp.lang.tcl a few days ago, but no one responded. I've
    since rebuilt tcl/tk on AIX 5.2, but the window-2.9 test still hangs.
    I'm using the (rather old) vac.C compiler, version 5.0.2.8. Has anyone
    out there in AIX land built tcl/tk 8.4.14 on 5.1 or 5.2 and not seen
    the hang? ]

    Both tcl and tk were built with --enable-threads. Tcl passed all but
    two minor tests: clock-10.0 and clock-41.1, which are strftime format
    tests. Tk failed many of the font tests, which I think I can live
    with, but the windows-2.9 hang troubles me. The code is this:

    test window-2.9 {Tk_DestroyWindow, Destroy bindings evaluated after
    exit} \
    unixOrWin {
    set script [makeFile {
    toplevel .t1
    toplevel .t2
    update
    bind .t2 {puts "Destroy .t2" ; exit 1}
    bind .t1 {puts "Destroy .t1" ; exit 0}
    destroy .t2
    } script]
    set error [catch {exec [interpreter] $script -geometry 10x10+0+0}
    msg]
    removeFile script
    list $error $msg
    } {0 {Destroy .t2

    Destroy .t1}}

    Testing it without the test wrappings, I find that this hangs:

    toplevel .t1
    toplevel .t2
    update
    bind .t1 {puts "Destroy .t1" ; exit 0}
    destroy .t2

    But when I remove the "exit 0" it doesn't:

    toplevel .t1
    toplevel .t2
    update
    bind .t1 {puts "Destroy .t1" ; }
    destroy .t2

    How serious is this, and what might I do to fix it?

    John.

  2. Re: windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14

    Are you connected via ssh to your AIX machine ?
    If yes try rsh and see if it behaves differently

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > Are you connected via ssh to your AIX machine ?
    > If yes try rsh and see if it behaves differently

    No. I was connecting to AIX through Exceed, but the test still hangs
    if I use the console.

  4. Re: windows-2.9 test hangs on AIX 5.1 with tk 8.4.14

    allenjo5@mail.northgrum.com wrote:
    > Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > > Are you connected via ssh to your AIX machine ?
    > > If yes try rsh and see if it behaves differently

    > No. I was connecting to AIX through Exceed, but the test still hangs
    > if I use the console.

    Well, I figured out how to make the windows-2.9 test _not_ hang: build
    tcl and tk without threads enabled (the default). I had been using the
    --enable-threads configure option. I should have known that threads
    were trouble :-(

    John.

+ Reply to Thread