Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets - Aix

This is a discussion on Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets - Aix ; I have the original AIX CDROMs that came with our system here in my offices. However, the CPU itself was delivered to our backup data center across town and I have to install several filesets that were not part of ...

  1. Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets

    I have the original AIX CDROMs that came with our system here in my
    offices. However, the CPU itself was delivered to our backup data
    center across town and I have to install several filesets that were not
    part of the basic install.

    If I try to mount a local CDROM then do "smit install" and look at the
    contents, I can see them no problem.

    - Install and Update from ALL Available Software
    - SOFTWARE to install
    - (F4)
    Press Enter AFTER making all selections.
    [TOP]

    #---------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMNSearch.bld
    ALL
    [MORE...1103]

    If I try to NFS mount the same CDROM on my remote server, I can mount
    and see the NFS filesystem, but when I press F4 to choose from the list
    as to what to install, I get the error below:

    0503-007 inutoc: Cannot create file /iriscdrom/.toc.
    Check permissions and available space.
    Cannot read input device, directory or table of contents file.

    In both cases, the CDROM is (naturally) read-only so why is it that the
    inutoc runs when I am NFS mounted but not when I am locally mounted?
    And is there any way to get around this?

    Finally, does anyone suggest an alternate method? I want to avoid NIM
    for the moment, and my only other option I can think of is to use
    "Software Maintenance and Utilities - Copy Software to Hard Disk for
    Future Installation" and then use that on a R/W NFS mount point.

    TIA

    Steve

  2. Re: Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets

    > In both cases, the CDROM is (naturally) read-only so why is it that the
    > inutoc runs when I am NFS mounted but not when I am locally mounted?
    > And is there any way to get around this?
    >
    > Finally, does anyone suggest an alternate method? I want to avoid NIM
    > for the moment, and my only other option I can think of is to use
    > "Software Maintenance and Utilities - Copy Software to Hard Disk for
    > Future Installation" and then use that on a R/W NFS mount point.

    smitty bffcreate then nfs export that filesystem, you'll just need
    plenty of space.

    > TIA
    >
    > Steve

  3. Re: Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets

    c00p wrote:
    > > In both cases, the CDROM is (naturally) read-only so why is it that the
    > > inutoc runs when I am NFS mounted but not when I am locally mounted?
    > > And is there any way to get around this?
    > >
    > > Finally, does anyone suggest an alternate method? I want to avoid NIM
    > > for the moment, and my only other option I can think of is to use
    > > "Software Maintenance and Utilities - Copy Software to Hard Disk for
    > > Future Installation" and then use that on a R/W NFS mount point.

    > smitty bffcreate then nfs export that filesystem, you'll just need
    > plenty of space.
    >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Steve

    I think you need to 'cd' into the directory that already contains the
    ..toc file on the CD, so
    cd /mnt/blah/blah
    Then an 'ls -l | grep .toc' should show the .toc file, then run smitty
    from this directory and when it asks where to install from just chose
    '.' ie the current directory

    Scott

  4. Re: Remote Mount CDFS for loading AIX filesets

    Here is the solution we received from IBM:

    NFS Mount of CDROM devices to remote server (Aix 5.2 or Later)
    Here are the steps required to properly NFS mount the CD-ROM device
    from one server to another remote server. The server which contains the
    physical CD-ROM device will be referred to as NFS Server and the remote
    server will be referred to as Client Server.

    On NFS Server:
    1) Disable the nfs_v3_server_readdirplus use of the NFS V3 READDIRPLUS
    operation on the NFS server.

    Command: nfso -o nfs_v3_server_readdirplus=0

    2) Create the CDROM filesystem through SMIT (smit crcdrfs). We will
    call it /nfs_cdrom

    3) Mount this new filesystem (mount /nfs_cdrom)

    4) Add this filesystem to the NFS export list (smit mknfsexp)

    Pathname of directory to export [/nfs_cdrom]
    Anonymous UID [-2]
    Public filesystem? no
    Ensure primary hostname in replica list yes
    Allow delegations? no
    Security method 1 [sys,krb5p,krb5i,krb5,>
    Mode to export directory read-write
    Mode to export directory read-write
    Hosts & netgroups allowed client access [Client_Server_name]

    /nfs_cdrom access=Client Server
    Exported /nfs_cdrom

    On Client_Server_name:

    5) Create the mount point (mkdir /nfs_cdrom)

    6) Add the filesystem for mounting through NFS (smit mknfsmnt)

    Pathname of mount point [/nfs_cdrom]
    Pathname of remote directory [/nfs_cdrom]
    Host where remote directory resides [NFS_Server_name]
    Security method [sys,dh,krb5,krb5i,krb> +
    Mode for this NFS file system read-only
    Attempt mount in foreground or background background
    Mode for this NFS file system read-only

    You should now see the filesystem mounted of you Client Server and you
    should be able to read the data from the CD-ROM on your NFS server.

+ Reply to Thread