hmc/firmware upgrade - Aix

This is a discussion on hmc/firmware upgrade - Aix ; Hello All, I would like to upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1 then upgrade my current firmware from IBM,SF230_126 to IBM,SF240_xxx..I not too fimiliar with 5.2.1 so im not sure on how to upgrade the frimware of my p550 and ...

  1. hmc/firmware upgrade

    Hello All,

    I would like to upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1 then upgrade my current
    firmware from IBM,SF230_126 to IBM,SF240_xxx..I not too fimiliar with
    5.2.1 so im not sure on how to upgrade the frimware of my p550 and p570
    (with 2LPARS )using HMC 5.2.1. Has any one done this before? Maybe
    someone can briefly show me how to perform this task..Also any tips
    before i upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1?

    Thanks,
    pinoy

  2. Re: hmc/firmware upgrade

    pinoy2ser@gmail.com wrote:
    > I would like to upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1 then upgrade my current
    > firmware from IBM,SF230_126 to IBM,SF240_xxx..I not too fimiliar with
    > 5.2.1 so im not sure on how to upgrade the frimware of my p550 and p570
    > (with 2LPARS )using HMC 5.2.1. Has any one done this before? Maybe
    > someone can briefly show me how to perform this task..Also any tips
    > before i upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1?

    As far as I know, the recommended way is to upgrade the system firmware
    first and THEN upgrade the HMC software, because the newer version might
    try to access features not present in the current system firmware(most
    notably the listing of virtual scsi devices and their backing devices on
    virtual I/O servers and the same for virtual ethernet).

    Connect to the HMC with WebSM and select "Licensed internal code" and
    then do the code update. I don't recall the exact name of the option.
    In HMC V5.x, it's called "Upgrade licensed internal code to a new
    release". But it's NOT the option "Change licensed internal code for
    the current release" which is only used for upgrading within the same
    firmware release(eg. upgrading from SF230_126 to SF230_127).

    And please not that changing releases is a disruptive update and you
    won't be able to downgrade easily, because the new release is accepted
    immediately. IIRC, you cannot preview them and roll the change back
    afterwards.

    Regards,
    Andre Naumann

  3. Re: hmc/firmware upgrade

    pinoy2ser@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1 then upgrade my current
    > firmware from IBM,SF230_126 to IBM,SF240_xxx..I not too fimiliar with
    > 5.2.1 so im not sure on how to upgrade the frimware of my p550 and p570
    > (with 2LPARS )using HMC 5.2.1. Has any one done this before? Maybe
    > someone can briefly show me how to perform this task..Also any tips
    > before i upgrade my HMC 4.5 to 5.2.1?

    Check the Power5 code matrix:

    http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...r5cm/home.html

    to check for HMC code / firmware compatibility. The firmware download and
    installation is performed from the HMC, which should be updated first to ensure
    compatibility with the new firmware's features/bugs.

    Steve Stackwick

    --
    steve stackwick
    sstackwick@jasi.com

  4. Re: hmc/firmware upgrade

    Stackwick wrote:
    > Check the Power5 code matrix:
    >
    > http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...r5cm/home.html
    >
    > to check for HMC code / firmware compatibility. The firmware download and
    > installation is performed from the HMC, which should be updated first to ensure
    > compatibility with the new firmware's features/bugs.

    By looking at that chart alone, you should see that using old HMC
    software with newer firmware levels is rarely supported, whereas newer
    HMC software can deal with older firmware. It just doesn't show as much
    information as it would with a newer firmware.

    Regards,
    Andre Naumann

  5. Re: hmc/firmware upgrade

    Andre Naumann wrote:
    > Stackwick wrote:
    > > Check the Power5 code matrix:
    > >
    > > http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...r5cm/home.html
    > >
    > > to check for HMC code / firmware compatibility. The firmware download and
    > > installation is performed from the HMC, which should be updated first to ensure
    > > compatibility with the new firmware's features/bugs.

    > By looking at that chart alone, you should see that using old HMC
    > software with newer firmware levels is rarely supported, whereas newer
    > HMC software can deal with older firmware. It just doesn't show as much
    > information as it would with a newer firmware.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andre Naumann

    Thank you for all the great advice....

    pinoy