Alternative dhcp client for AIX? - Aix

This is a discussion on Alternative dhcp client for AIX? - Aix ; I have a dhcp server which uses dnsmasq. It expects dhcp clients to be able to send their client name back to the server via the dhcp protocol (not via dns updates). This works out well for my Windows and ...

  1. Alternative dhcp client for AIX?

    I have a dhcp server which uses dnsmasq.
    It expects dhcp clients to be able to send their client name back to
    the server via the dhcp protocol (not via dns updates).

    This works out well for my Windows and Linux boxes.

    The way AIX dhcpcd works is it wants to update the client hostname on
    the dhcp server via dns (using dhcpaction and nsupdate). There does
    not seem to be any other way with dhcpcd (and if anybody knows how,
    please let me know).

    Are there any alternative dhcp clients for AIX that would work in this
    situation?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Alternative dhcp client for AIX?

    Alan N. wrote:
    > I have a dhcp server which uses dnsmasq.
    > It expects dhcp clients to be able to send their client name back to
    > the server via the dhcp protocol (not via dns updates).
    >
    > This works out well for my Windows and Linux boxes.
    >
    > The way AIX dhcpcd works is it wants to update the client hostname on
    > the dhcp server via dns (using dhcpaction and nsupdate). There does
    > not seem to be any other way with dhcpcd (and if anybody knows how,
    > please let me know).
    >
    > Are there any alternative dhcp clients for AIX that would work in this
    > situation?

    If you take a look at the /etc/dhcpcd.ini you will see that updateDNS
    is a variable which holds an script or executable to do the DNS
    updates. So the value can be changed to whatever you like.

    Example from dhcspcd.ini file
    updateDNS "/usr/sbin/dhcpaction '%s' '%s' '%s' '%s' A NONIM >>
    /tmp/updns.out 2>&1 "

    So in your case you new need just a different script which does the
    updates in the way you want it.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread