How to set bash as default shell - Aix

This is a discussion on How to set bash as default shell - Aix ; I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by any term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone help me please. Greets Alex...

  1. How to set bash as default shell

    I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by
    any term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone
    help me please.

    Greets Alex

  2. Re: How to set bash as default shell

    Alexander Koeppe wrote:
    > I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by
    > any term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone
    > help me please.

    "man chsh"

  3. Re: How to set bash as default shell

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:05:15 +0100, Alexander Koeppe wrote:

    > I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by any
    > term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone help me
    > please.
    >
    > Greets Alex

    If you want to use bash as a login shell, you first have to add it to the
    list of shells in /etc/security/login.cfg. Then use `chsh` to change your
    individual setting.

    --
    George Baltz N3GB
    Computer Sciences Corp Rule of thumb: ANYthing offered

  4. Re: How to set bash as default shell

    /#chsh
    Current available shells:
    /bin/sh
    /bin/bsh
    /bin/csh
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/tsh
    /bin/ksh93
    /usr/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/bsh
    /usr/bin/csh
    /usr/bin/ksh
    /usr/bin/tsh
    /usr/bin/ksh93
    /usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
    /usr/sbin/sliplogin
    /usr/sbin/snappd
    root's current login shell:
    /usr/bin/ksh
    Change (yes) or (no)? > yes
    To?>/usr/bin/bsh
    *************
    /#chsh
    Current available shells:
    /bin/sh
    /bin/bsh
    /bin/csh
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/tsh
    /bin/ksh93
    /usr/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/bsh
    /usr/bin/csh
    /usr/bin/ksh
    /usr/bin/tsh
    /usr/bin/ksh93
    /usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
    /usr/sbin/sliplogin
    /usr/sbin/snappd
    root's current login shell:
    /usr/bin/bsh

    Sivalingasamy G
    IBM, INDIA
    0940916153

    George Baltz wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:05:15 +0100, Alexander Koeppe wrote:
    >
    > > I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by any
    > > term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone help me
    > > please.
    > >
    > > Greets Alex

    > If you want to use bash as a login shell, you first have to add it to the
    > list of shells in /etc/security/login.cfg. Then use `chsh` to change your
    > individual setting.
    >

    > --
    > George Baltz N3GB
    > Computer Sciences Corp Rule of thumb: ANYthing offered
    > @NOAA/NESDIS/IPD by unsolicited email is a hoax,
    > Suitland, MD 20746 ripoff, scam or outright fraud.

  5. Re: How to set bash as default shell

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:39:08 -0800, sivalingasamy@gmail.com wrote:

    > /#chsh
    > Current available shells:
    > /bin/sh
    > /bin/bsh
    > /bin/csh
    > /bin/ksh
    > /bin/tsh
    > /bin/ksh93
    > /usr/bin/sh
    > /usr/bin/bsh
    > /usr/bin/csh
    > /usr/bin/ksh
    > /usr/bin/tsh
    > /usr/bin/ksh93
    > /usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
    > /usr/sbin/sliplogin
    > /usr/sbin/snappd
    > root's current login shell:
    > /usr/bin/ksh
    > Change (yes) or (no)? > yes
    > To?>/usr/bin/bsh
    > *************
    > /#chsh
    > Current available shells:
    > /bin/sh
    > /bin/bsh
    > /bin/csh
    > /bin/ksh
    > /bin/tsh
    > /bin/ksh93
    > /usr/bin/sh
    > /usr/bin/bsh
    > /usr/bin/csh
    > /usr/bin/ksh
    > /usr/bin/tsh
    > /usr/bin/ksh93
    > /usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
    > /usr/sbin/sliplogin
    > /usr/sbin/snappd
    > root's current login shell:
    > /usr/bin/bsh
    >
    > Sivalingasamy G
    > IBM, INDIA
    > 0940916153

    You probably don't want to do that for root - bsh is a strict Bourne
    shell, so any KSH specific stuff you type won't work. And there were (as
    of AIX 5.1, dunno about 5.3) a few shell scripts without the leading
    #!/bin/ksh line, so they'll suprise you also.

    > George Baltz wrote:
    >> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:05:15 +0100, Alexander Koeppe wrote:
    >>
    >> > I installed the bash on my AIX5.2L. But now I want that it is used by
    >> > any term (e.g. xterm, dtterm,...) I'm quite new in AIX. Could someone
    >> > help me please.
    >> >
    >> > Greets Alex

    >> If you want to use bash as a login shell, you first have to add it to
    >> the list of shells in /etc/security/login.cfg. Then use `chsh` to
    >> change your individual setting.
    >>

    >> --
    >> George Baltz N3GB
    >> Computer Sciences Corp Rule of thumb: ANYthing offered
    >> @NOAA/NESDIS/IPD by unsolicited email is a hoax, Suitland, MD 20746
    >> ripoff, scam or outright fraud.

    --
    George Baltz N3GB
    Computer Sciences Corp Rule of thumb: ANYthing offered
    @NOAA/NESDIS/IPD by unsolicited email is a hoax,
    Suitland, MD 20746 ripoff, scam or outright fraud.

+ Reply to Thread