IntelliStation 185 ? - Aix

This is a discussion on IntelliStation 185 ? - Aix ; hello group, can some kind soul point me to some information about this beast (other than the marketing stuff) ? Reason is, that I'm trying to install AIX on a fresh disk, but I'm a bit stuck. The box has ...

  1. IntelliStation 185 ?

    hello group,

    can some kind soul point me to some information about this beast
    (other than the marketing stuff) ?
    Reason is, that I'm trying to install AIX on a fresh disk,
    but I'm a bit stuck. The box has a GXT4500, and has worked before,
    and was installable the usual way (press F1/F5, etc...) before,
    but now that I'm booting off CD it stops with AA00E1A9 on that
    weird pluggable console, with no output on the screen whatsoever.

    IBM's information center is absolutely useless in this respect,
    there seem to be no Installation / Operator / Users guide
    for this box. The documentation which comes with the box
    is just a joke (and not a good one), oodles of safety and license crap,
    but not a single sheet of paper how to install it or how to deal
    with that weird console module. Hey, IBM, give me back old-fashioned
    manuals, please.

    TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: IntelliStation 185 ?

    Lost in space Michael Kraemer wrote:

    > hello group,

    Hi

    > can some kind soul point me to some information about this beast
    > (other than the marketing stuff) ?

    Read chapter 2 of
    IBM IntelliStation POWER 185 Technical Overview and Introduction
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4135.pdf
    So maybe your AIX base CD set is out dated.
    In case this is correct:
    Get latest AIX installation media or do a nim installation from a AIX
    or Linux box.

    Literature about the Intelliststaion
    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03004c/ser...tions_lit.html

    and also pretty nice

    System i and System p - Initial server setup
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...phaf/iphaf.pdf

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: IntelliStation 185 ?

    In article <1164381189.251898.199270@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, "Hajo
    Ehlers" writes:
    > Read chapter 2 of
    > IBM IntelliStation POWER 185 Technical Overview and Introduction
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4135.pdf

    been there, done that (after a long search).
    While this info is nice to have, it didn't help that much
    with my problem.

    > So maybe your AIX base CD set is out dated.
    > In case this is correct:
    > Get latest AIX installation media or do a nim installation from a AIX
    > or Linux box.

    I already managed to install a system on that box,
    I'm just unable to repeat that with a fresh disk
    (the old one somehow died just before I could draw a mksysb).
    I have a yet older mksysb, but the box refuses to boot off the tape.
    Maybe the bootlist needs to be altered, but since it doesn't
    display anything apart from the "LED" error code, I'm stuck here.
    Maybe one needs to tinker with the control panel, but that's exactly
    the information which doesn't come with the 185, but should, of course.

    > Literature about the Intelliststaion

    http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03004c/ser...stations_lit.h
    html

    yes, been there, done that, long ago.
    But that's not what I want to know right now.

    > and also pretty nice
    >
    > System i and System p - Initial server setup
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...phaf/iphaf.pdf

    that's more or less the sheet which comes on paper, it's useless, IMHO.
    What might be useful: a short, comprehensive explanation of the control panel,
    for example.
    Redirecting people to some website which either is unreachable just
    when you need it (as yesterday), or takes ages to find some remotely
    useful information, isn't exactly helpful.

    > hth
    > Hajo

    well, I'm obviously a bit in rant mode,
    but maybe some IBM guys listen too.
    That stuff really needs improvement, IMHO.

  4. Re: IntelliStation 185 ?

    Then go to the

    IBM Systems Hardware Information Center
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...1r3s/index.jsp

    You might find:
    Reference code for customers
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rencecodes.htm

    where you can check for AAxxxxxx error code which will lead you to:
    (AAxx) Partition firmware reference (attention) codes

    which says about your error code:

    AA00E1A9 The system is booting to the System Management Services
    (SMS) menus.
    Note:
    If the system or partition returns to the SMS menus (as indicated by
    this progress code) after a boot attempt failed, use the ASMI menus to
    inspect the progress code history:

    * Look for a BAxx xxxx reference (error) code, which might indicate
    why the boot attempt failed. When you find a BAxx xxxx error code, see
    (BAxx) Partition firmware reference (error) codes to find the code,
    then follow the actions indicated to resolve the boot problem.
    * If you do not find a BAxx xxxx error code, see Problems with
    resolve the boot problem.

    I am not very familiar with the p5 platform but i would suggest to
    attach a serial console, go to the sms menue and setup what is needed.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread