how to backup and restore servers for disaster recovery - Aix

This is a discussion on how to backup and restore servers for disaster recovery - Aix ; Hi all! I have to set up a server for disaster recovery but the remote site now has not a line. So I have to backup disks, go there and restore all. What's the best way? I think the easyest ...

  1. how to backup and restore servers for disaster recovery

    Hi all!
    I have to set up a server for disaster recovery but the remote site now
    has not a line. So I have to backup disks, go there and restore all.

    What's the best way?
    I think the easyest way is doing a mksysb for rootvg and then shapshots
    for lv. I can use also tivoli storage manager for backups but I thinks
    it would be easyer using backsnap and restore.

    What do you think?

    Thanks

    Marco

  2. Re: how to backup and restore servers for disaster recovery

    Marco wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > I have to set up a server for disaster recovery but the remote site now
    > has not a line. So I have to backup disks, go there and restore all.
    >
    > What's the best way?
    > I think the easyest way is doing a mksysb for rootvg and then shapshots
    > for lv. I can use also tivoli storage manager for backups but I thinks
    > it would be easyer using backsnap and restore.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Marco

    Its not really possible to give an answer because there are some many
    variables, for eg, how much data, raw LV's or filesystems, type of tape
    drives, do you have a TSM server at the DR site etc etc. If you do
    only have just the one server then mksysb and savevg will probably suit
    you well, however if you have TSM available at both sites then Id
    assume this may be the first of many servers you may want to DR. In
    that case rootvg and savevg perhaps arent the best way to go - maybe
    think ahead a little of what you will have in one years time.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread