can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP - Aix

This is a discussion on can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP - Aix ; Hi there, During a test, I've found that every mksysb-backup I've tried failed to restore. The mksysb's are all of 5300-04-CSP machines. One was a bootable DVD-RAM mksysb, the rest were made using NIM. The source machine was a p570 ...

  1. can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP

    Hi there,

    During a test, I've found that every mksysb-backup I've tried failed to restore.
    The mksysb's are all of 5300-04-CSP machines. One was a bootable DVD-RAM mksysb,
    the rest were made using NIM. The source machine was a p570 with some LPARs.

    First, the bootable DVD-RAM appeared to hang before even starting. This turned
    out to be APAR IY85273. The other mksysb's were restored using NIM, but this
    failed as well: everything worked great, until the "Creating boot logical
    volume" phase. I was greeted with the error: "/dev/ipldevice not found". I
    have tried many things: using a 5300-05-03 SPOT, a 5300-04-CSP SPOT, even a
    5300-01 SPOT. Also, I've tried netbooting using the 32-bit kernel and 64-bit
    kernel. All this failed. I didn't find anything searching the IBM AIX support
    database, nor using Google.

    I'm submitting a PMR to IBM about this, but in the meantime: perhaps these
    symptoms are familiar to somebody here. Did anyone encounter a problem like
    this, and what was the solution?

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency:
    You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  2. Re: can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP

    Jurjen Oskam wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > During a test, I've found that every mksysb-backup I've tried failed to restore.
    > The mksysb's are all of 5300-04-CSP machines. One was a bootable DVD-RAM mksysb,
    > the rest were made using NIM. The source machine was a p570 with some LPARs.
    >
    > First, the bootable DVD-RAM appeared to hang before even starting. This turned
    > out to be APAR IY85273. The other mksysb's were restored using NIM, but this
    > failed as well: everything worked great, until the "Creating boot logical
    > volume" phase. I was greeted with the error: "/dev/ipldevice not found". I
    > have tried many things: using a 5300-05-03 SPOT, a 5300-04-CSP SPOT, even a
    > 5300-01 SPOT. Also, I've tried netbooting using the 32-bit kernel and 64-bit
    > kernel. All this failed. I didn't find anything searching the IBM AIX support
    > database, nor using Google.
    >
    > I'm submitting a PMR to IBM about this, but in the meantime: perhaps these
    > symptoms are familiar to somebody here. Did anyone encounter a problem like
    > this, and what was the solution?
    >
    > --
    > Jurjen Oskam
    >
    > Savage's Law of Expediency:
    > You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

    does /dev/ipldevice exist on the system from which you created the
    mksysb?

  3. Re: can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP

    aix@mail.com wrote:

    > does /dev/ipldevice exist on the system from which you created the
    > mksysb?

    The /dev/ipldevice never gets backed up afaik because its created
    during installation. If a the /dev/ipldevice is missing the OP should
    try the following:

    1)
    Boot a failed mksysb installation in maintenance mode and check if the
    FILE /dev/ipldevice exist and whether or not it is of the correct TYPE.
    Also a look at the log files in /var/adm/ras might be usefull.

    2)
    Check if the system is using multiboot or not. The OP should read
    /usr/lpp/bos/README.multibos - it might give a clue in case mutliboot
    is used and the multiboot process is messed up some how

    3)
    Run a NIM installation in DEBUG mode to find out what going on.

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Re: can't restore mksysb's of 5300-04-CSP

    On 2006-11-21, Hajo Ehlers wrote:

    > The /dev/ipldevice never gets backed up afaik because its created
    > during installation. If a the /dev/ipldevice is missing the OP should
    > try the following:

    Thanks everyone. IBM reported back to me, and they pointed to a line in
    /etc/exclude.rootvg. That was a leftover line from some mksysb problems
    I had some time (and maintenance levels) ago. Without that line, I couldn't
    create mksysb's of a system; it always errored out. I inserted that line
    to test something, but never took it out. The line excluded /etc/vg
    from backup.

    I removed this line, and made some new mksysb's. This worked, and now
    I'm going to try to restore them.

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

+ Reply to Thread