inetd - Aix

This is a discussion on inetd - Aix ; Hi All, There is a inetd.conf and services file in /etc on the AIX 5.3 servers we use. I find the same type of info in both the files. Does the OS requires both the files for running various services/subservers ...

  1. inetd

    Hi All,

    There is a inetd.conf and services file in /etc on the AIX 5.3 servers
    we use. I find the same type of info in both the files. Does the OS
    requires both the files for running various services/subservers or any
    one is needed.
    I understand that the services file is used in DARPA style internet.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Ashok Sangra

  2. Re: inetd

    /etc/services provides mappings for ALL known services to the port
    numbers and is required. inetd is a "super-server" which controls many
    lesser subsystems (telnet, ftp, rsh, etc) and is not required IF you
    don't require any of the services that run via inetd. I use ssh on all
    of my servers so i really have no need for any services provided by
    inetd (although I just comment out the services in inetd.conf instead
    of disabling inetd completely - just personal preference).

    But you shouldn't remove either of those files...it's a bad idea, and
    if you don't need inetd, just disable it via SRC.

    and as always google is your friend:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...c%2Finetd.conf

    On Nov 18, 4:22 am, "Ashok Sangra" wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > There is a inetd.conf and services file in /etc on the AIX 5.3 servers
    > we use. I find the same type of info in both the files. Does the OS
    > requires both the files for running various services/subservers or any
    > one is needed.
    > I understand that the services file is used in DARPA style internet.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    >
    > Ashok Sangra

  3. Re: inetd

    Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > There is a inetd.conf and services file in /etc on the AIX 5.3 servers
    > we use. I find the same type of info in both the files. Does the OS
    > requires both the files for running various services/subservers or any
    > one is needed.

    The two files govern different things. The OS doesn't require either
    file. However, a number of sockets applications (inetd being one of
    them) /do/ require the /etc/services file, and inetd also requires the
    inetd.conf file.

    /etc/services is used by the getserv*(3) an setserv(*3) C library
    routines to provide a convenient mapping from service name to port
    number. While the contents of this file are used (indirectly) by inetd,
    they are /also/ used by any other program that calls the getserv*(3) or
    setserv*(3) library routines. So, the manpage caveat wrt inetd, while
    accurate, is incomplete.

    /etc/inetd.conf provides the configuration to the inetd superserver.
    This file associates TCP port (by it's service name) to a program
    action.

    > I understand that the services file is used in DARPA style internet.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    >
    > Ashok Sangra

+ Reply to Thread