AIX Books - Your Top 5. - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX Books - Your Top 5. - Aix ; I am a WebSphere Administrator looking for some basix AIX administration manuals. I used to have the "AIX Survival Guide" and "AIX 6000" but they are a bit dated now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Patrick....

  1. AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    I am a WebSphere Administrator looking for some basix AIX
    administration manuals. I used to have the "AIX Survival Guide" and
    "AIX 6000" but they are a bit dated now. Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

    Patrick.

  2. Re: AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > I am a WebSphere Administrator looking for some basix AIX
    > administration manuals. I used to have the "AIX Survival Guide" and
    > "AIX 6000" but they are a bit dated now. Any suggestions?

    Just to name a few:

    AIX - 5.2 AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.2 Edition - sg245765.pdf
    AIX - 5.3 AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.3 Edition - sg247463.pdf
    - You need both guide since the 5.3 Edition is more or less a update
    for the 5.2 edition where the 5.2 Edition gives you to all changs since
    4.3.3 . So in conjuction with the servival guide these 3 books are the
    basement.

    AIX - 5L Performance Guide - sg246039.pdf
    AIX - 5L Problem Determination Tools and Techniques - sg246185.pdf
    AIX - Database Performance on AIX - sg245511.pdf
    AIX - NIM From A to Z in AIX 4.3 - sg245524.pdf
    AIX - NIM network install for Linux.pdf
    AIX - Practical AIX tuning.pdf
    AIX - Problem Solving and Troubleshooting in AIX 5L - sg245496.pdf
    AIX - Reference for HP-UX System Administrators- sg246767.pdf
    AIX - Reference for Sun Solaris Administrators - sg246584.pdf
    AIX - What's New with AIX 5.3.pdf

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > I am a WebSphere Administrator looking for some basix AIX
    > administration manuals. I used to have the "AIX Survival Guide" and
    > "AIX 6000" but they are a bit dated now. Any suggestions?
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Patrick.

    And don't forget the Logical Volume Manager A-Z

    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245433.pdf

  4. Re: AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    > AIX - NIM network install for Linux.pdf
    > AIX - Practical AIX tuning.pdf

    Can you please tell me where can I find these two books? Especially the
    First one? Thanks in advance.

  5. Re: AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    Simeon.Iskidzhiyski schrieb:

    > > AIX - NIM network install for Linux.pdf

    Linux Network Installation Service for Multiple Platforms Provided by
    an AIX 5L Version 5.3 NIM Server
    http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserve...rk_install.pdf

    Do not get confused with NIM on Linux ( NIMOL ) because the above is to
    support boot and installation from AIX where NIMOL is for Installing
    AIX from Linux.

    Even the book mentioned NIM, the installation for Linux is pretty hand
    made. I have found that the SMITTY NIM menu on AIX 5.3 has a option for
    Linux NIM client installation but i did not made any test with it.
    With the book it took me just a few days to setup an enviroment for
    SLES 10/9 SLP9.3 with and without automatic install. ( OK, i was
    already familiar with autojast )

    > > AIX - Practical AIX tuning.pdf

    Turning The Knobs: Practical AIX Tuning
    >From Susan Schreitmueller pSeries, Advanced Technical Support

    http://www.common.org/conferences/20...ide/770122.PDF

    The latest redbook about tuning ( 11/2006) , the
    AIX 5L Practical Performance Tools and Tuning Guide can be found here:
    http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redb.../SG246478.html

    hth
    Hajo

  6. Re: AIX Books - Your Top 5.

    On Nov 16, 6:24 am, "Patrick Finnegan"
    wrote:
    > I am a WebSphere Administrator looking for some basix AIX
    > administration manuals. I used to have the "AIX Survival Guide" and
    > "AIX 6000" but they are a bit dated now. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Patrick.

    I agree with most of Hajo's recommendations, especially the differences
    guide, nim a-z and I also like the (older) LVM A to Z books. The only
    problem with them is that they don't cover many of the newer 5.x
    features (jfs2, etc).
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5433.html?Open
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5432.html?Open

    I also like the O'Reilly Essential Sys Admin & Unix Backup & Recovery
    books as well as they cover AIX pretty well too.

+ Reply to Thread