Force CD/DVD ROM move to other LPAR? - Aix

This is a discussion on Force CD/DVD ROM move to other LPAR? - Aix ; I'm somewhat new to using LPARS and VIO with an HMC and think I might be overlooking something. On a single P510, I have 4 LPARS and a VIO Server. In normal production I realize that I can dedicate the ...

  1. Force CD/DVD ROM move to other LPAR?

    I'm somewhat new to using LPARS and VIO with an HMC and think I might
    be overlooking something.

    On a single P510, I have 4 LPARS and a VIO Server.

    In normal production I realize that I can dedicate the CD/DVD drive to
    one LPAR and export it via NFS (so the other LPARS can have access to
    it when needed).

    But at various times we are going to need to boot off of the CD/DVD on
    a selected LPAR.

    On the HMC I'm familiar with creating different profiles and/or just
    removing/adding the "Other Storage Controller" for the DVD/CD to the
    various LPARS.

    The "glitch" seems to come in that once an LPAR has hold of the CD/DVD
    it won't give it up until the entire box is rebooted.

    I've tried:

    Removing it from the OS
    Removing it from the LPAR Profile
    Shutdown the LPAR
    Add it to the LPAR I want it on

    But the first LPAR that "grabs" (or the system gives it to on boot)
    won't release it.

    As this happens with other hardware devices (additional SCSI
    controllers for instance) is there a way to force the update to happen
    without rebooting the whole box?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Force CD/DVD ROM move to other LPAR?

    Alan N. wrote:
    > I'm somewhat new to using LPARS and VIO with an HMC and think I might
    > be overlooking something.
    >
    > On a single P510, I have 4 LPARS and a VIO Server.
    >
    > In normal production I realize that I can dedicate the CD/DVD drive to
    > one LPAR and export it via NFS (so the other LPARS can have access to
    > it when needed).
    >
    > But at various times we are going to need to boot off of the CD/DVD on
    > a selected LPAR.
    >
    > On the HMC I'm familiar with creating different profiles and/or just
    > removing/adding the "Other Storage Controller" for the DVD/CD to the
    > various LPARS.
    >
    > The "glitch" seems to come in that once an LPAR has hold of the CD/DVD
    > it won't give it up until the entire box is rebooted.
    >
    > I've tried:
    >
    > Removing it from the OS
    > Removing it from the LPAR Profile
    > Shutdown the LPAR
    > Add it to the LPAR I want it on
    >
    > But the first LPAR that "grabs" (or the system gives it to on boot)
    > won't release it.
    >
    > As this happens with other hardware devices (additional SCSI
    > controllers for instance) is there a way to force the update to happen
    > without rebooting the whole box?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Its easy to move the CD (or any other hardware) between the LPARs
    without rebooting.

    Firstly make sure thru the HMC you have set the CD to be 'desired' and
    not 'required' when allocating it to a LPAR. We make the CD desired to
    all LPARs (we NEVER make it required, in actual fact we dont make any
    hardware required).

    If the CD is desired it will allow it to be removed from the LPAR and
    attached to another where it is also desired without rebooting. If you
    have it set as requried then you will need to update your profile to
    make it desired and reboot (this is a one time step).

    To actually remove the CD from an LPAR you first need to delete the CD
    and teh PCI card it is connected to from AIX, so something like this
    (taken from my notes)

    ****************************

    If you want to dynamically remove the CD drive from a server then you
    need to 'rmdev' it and its parent devices before using the HMC to
    remove it.

    So for eg run

    lscfg

    and you will see something like this

    * pci8 U5791.001.91800P2-P1
    PCI Bus
    + sisscsia0 U5791.001.91800P2-P1-C10
    PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
    + scsi1 U5791.001.91800P2-P1-C10-T1
    PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter bus
    + cd0 U5791.001.91800P2-P1-C10-T1-L0-L0
    16 Bit LVD SCSI DVD-ROM Drive (4700 MB)

    OR easier than the above is to do
    lsslot -c slot (Ive seen this not working before so lscfg may be
    better)

    Then do a 'rmdev -R -dl pci8'

    and the cd0 and all its parent devices will be removed. Then
    dynamcially remove from the server in the HMC.

    ********************************

    Note where it says to dynamically remove it from the HMC, just right
    click on the server and chose the option to dynamically add/remove
    hardware (note its not the profile you click on but the actual server
    itself).

    Then just dynamically add it to the server you want it on thru the HMC
    and run cfgmgr.

    Any probs let me know.

    Regards,
    Scott