I have a Mammoth 2 tape drive on an AIX 5.2 ML8.

Frequently, the drive seems to have problems reading tapes - (it has
been logged with IBM) but it doesn't clock up hardware errors and there
is nothing consistent about the behaviour.

About the only thing that is consistent, is that I can reproduce the
errors I get bu ejecting the tape during a verify of the tape contents.
That is, I do a restore -s 4 -Tvqf /dev/rmt0.1 2 and during the reading
of the tape I eject it. This results in the command continuing with the
following errors until the command is aborted.

restore: 0511-133 There is a data read error.: There is an input or
output error.
Ignoring data and continuing.
restore: 0511-133 There is a data read error.: There is an input or
output error.
Ignoring data and continuing.

This seems totally wrong and makes me think that perhaps the wrong
driver is somehow invovled.
I have removed the device with rmdev -dl rmt0 and readded it with
cfgmgr with no change in behaviour.

The tape is set up as follows

tctl -f/dev/rmt0 status

rmt0 Available 1S-08-00-0,0 LVD SCSI 8mm Tape Drive
attribute value description user_settable

block_size 1024 BLOCK size (0=variable length) True
compress yes Use data COMPRESSION True
density_set_1 40 DENSITY setting #1 True
density_set_2 40 DENSITY setting #2 True
extfm yes,no Use EXTENDED file marks True
mode yes Use DEVICE BUFFERS during writes True
ret no RETENSION on tape change or reset True
ret_error yes RETURN error on tape change or reset True
size_in_mb 60000 Size in Megabytes False

I changed my tape from ret_error no to yes (as above) and tried using
a trap to catch the error
with
trap exit EIO
at the start of the script - this had no effect.

I am a little out of my depth here, does anyone have any ideas on how
to go about getting around this problem?

Thanks

Guido.