UMASK questions - Aix

This is a discussion on UMASK questions - Aix ; Hi world, In my shell UMASK value is 022, I'm creating directory the permissions are rwxr-xr-x i'm creating file the permissions are rw-r--r-- My question is, why i'm not getting x(excute) permission on files...? vinayag....

  1. UMASK questions

    Hi world,

    In my shell UMASK value is 022,
    I'm creating directory the permissions are rwxr-xr-x
    i'm creating file the permissions are rw-r--r--

    My question is, why i'm not getting x(excute) permission on files...?

    vinayag.

  2. Re: UMASK questions

    vinayag wrote:
    > Hi world,
    >
    > In my shell UMASK value is 022,
    > I'm creating directory the permissions are rwxr-xr-x
    > i'm creating file the permissions are rw-r--r--
    >
    > My question is, why i'm not getting x(excute) permission on files...?

    Files are not executable by default. If you want to make a particular
    file executable i.e. it is a script, then you need to do this manually
    i.e. chmod 755

    (I use the .sh extension so I can visually see if a file is a script and
    what shell that script is written for i.e. .ksh for Korn shell, .bash
    for BASH files etc - just a personal thing.)

  3. Re: UMASK questions

    hi mane

    thanks for the reply..
    i expect the same.even though i need to confirm by experts...

    vinayag

    Silver Mane wrote:
    > vinayag wrote:
    > > Hi world,
    > >
    > > In my shell UMASK value is 022,
    > > I'm creating directory the permissions are rwxr-xr-x
    > > i'm creating file the permissions are rw-r--r--
    > >
    > > My question is, why i'm not getting x(excute) permission on files...?

    > Files are not executable by default. If you want to make a particular
    > file executable i.e. it is a script, then you need to do this manually
    > i.e. chmod 755
    >
    > (I use the .sh extension so I can visually see if a file is a script and
    > what shell that script is written for i.e. .ksh for Korn shell, .bash
    > for BASH files etc - just a personal thing.)

+ Reply to Thread