SDD upgrade with rootvg - Aix

This is a discussion on SDD upgrade with rootvg - Aix ; Does someone from IBM care to clarify the following: We are a big believer in virtual LPAR concept and we are going to have many small LPARs with their own boot disks from SAN (2105 or 2107 devices). The documentation ...

  1. SDD upgrade with rootvg

    Does someone from IBM care to clarify the following:

    We are a big believer in virtual LPAR concept and we are going to have
    many small LPARs with their own
    boot disks from SAN (2105 or 2107 devices).

    The documentation for upgrading SDD says :

    If you want to upgrade SDD only, see "Upgrading SDD packages
    automatically without system restart" on page 21 or "Upgrading SDD
    manually" on page 24.

    1. Ensure that rootvg is on local SCSI disks. (???????)
    2. Stop all activities related to SDD devices:
    a. Stop applications running on SDD volume groups or file systems.
    b. If your host is in an HACMP environment, stop the cluster services

    The problem I have is on first statement : rootvg should on SCSI disks?

    Is this an error? Can someone please clarify what the official stand
    is?.

    with regards
    JP

  2. Re: SDD upgrade with rootvg

    johnpa60@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Does someone from IBM care to clarify the following:
    >
    > We are a big believer in virtual LPAR concept and we are going to have
    > many small LPARs with their own
    > boot disks from SAN (2105 or 2107 devices).
    >
    > The documentation for upgrading SDD says :
    >
    > If you want to upgrade SDD only, see "Upgrading SDD packages
    > automatically without system restart" on page 21 or "Upgrading SDD
    > manually" on page 24.
    >
    > 1. Ensure that rootvg is on local SCSI disks. (???????)
    > 2. Stop all activities related to SDD devices:
    > a. Stop applications running on SDD volume groups or file systems.
    > b. If your host is in an HACMP environment, stop the cluster services
    >
    > The problem I have is on first statement : rootvg should on SCSI disks?
    >
    > Is this an error? Can someone please clarify what the official stand
    > is?.
    >
    > with regards
    > JP

    you expect to get an official stand??? here???

  3. Re: SDD upgrade with rootvg

    > > The problem I have is on first statement : rootvg should on SCSI disks?

    where is your rootvg then ? i.e what type of disks ?

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

  4. Re: SDD upgrade with rootvg

    Mark Taylor wrote:
    > > > The problem I have is on first statement : rootvg should on SCSI disks?

    > where is your rootvg then ? i.e what type of disks ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Mark Taylor

    I think it is right that you cant have rootvg on SAN when it comes to
    upgrading the SDD (and probably SDDPCM but I havent had to upgrade
    SDDPCM yet).

    Part of the upgrade entails stopping access to devices using the SDD
    drivers, ie varyoff your VG's, then remove hdisks and then uninstall
    old drivers and put on new drivers.

    The cfgmgr and varyon VG.

    Of course there are more steps than this but it can be seen that you
    cant have rootvg on any device that requires access to devices using
    SDD.

    What you could do is setup a VIO server and use SCSI for its rootvg,
    then virtualise disks for your LPAR's, so rootvg will be on a virtual
    disk which is actually on the SAN.

    If you do this then when you upgrade you need to shutdown all virtual
    servers, then remove all virtual definitions from the VIO server, then
    do the upgrade to SDD on the VIO server, add back in the virtual
    definitions and restart your virtual servers.

    It works as I have just upgraded from SDD to SDDPCM, and this contains
    the same sort of steps as just doing an SDD upgrade.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread