7133-D40 SSA RAID - Aix

This is a discussion on 7133-D40 SSA RAID - Aix ; Hi All, I've got the opportunity to pick one or two of these for a steal. It would be connected to a 9112-256 (Intellistation Model 265) running AIX 5.3. What do I need to connect the two together? Do I ...

  1. 7133-D40 SSA RAID

    Hi All,
    I've got the opportunity to pick one or two of these for a steal.

    It would be connected to a 9112-256 (Intellistation Model 265)
    running AIX 5.3.

    What do I need to connect the two together? Do I only require some
    cables and an SSA controller? Any suggestions as to which one would be
    best?

    I am not familiar with this technology at all.

    What/how is it different to SCSI etc, and what
    advantages/disadvantages does it have?

    TIA,

    -Chris

  2. Re: 7133-D40 SSA RAID

    hi chris,

    you already has everything to get it work. The adapter (FC6230) and the
    ssa cable. Install SSA driver from the OS installation CD. smitty
    installp and find filesets with 'SSA'. Installed all of them.

    Upon successful installation, smitty ssaraid to configure it. If you
    have any doubts after the installation, do post more info so we can
    assist you on that.

    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I've got the opportunity to pick one or two of these for a steal.
    >
    > It would be connected to a 9112-256 (Intellistation Model 265)
    > running AIX 5.3.
    >
    > What do I need to connect the two together? Do I only require some
    > cables and an SSA controller? Any suggestions as to which one would be
    > best?
    >
    > I am not familiar with this technology at all.
    >
    > What/how is it different to SCSI etc, and what
    > advantages/disadvantages does it have?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Chris

  3. Re: 7133-D40 SSA RAID

    It's signigicantly different from SCSI in that SSA operates in a loop
    rather than as a bus. You can have multiple levels of redundancy,
    everything is hot swappable, the array manager is more robust than any
    of the IBM scsi array managers I've used and the error desense (SRNS)
    are very straight forward and will tell you exactly what problems
    you're having. Also if you were twintailing with SSA it was much
    easier than SCSI (for HA type setups).

    As you can tell I'm a very big fan of SSA and was sad to see them go
    when we moved on to SAN.

    I say get it and have fun with it...post if you have any problems.

    One last note is to stick with SSA on AIX platforms, SSA on NT/Wintel
    was a PITA.

    On Nov 13, 6:51 pm, chr...@warpspeed.com.au wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I've got the opportunity to pick one or two of these for a steal.
    >
    > It would be connected to a 9112-256 (Intellistation Model 265)
    > running AIX 5.3.
    >
    > What do I need to connect the two together? Do I only require some
    > cables and an SSA controller? Any suggestions as to which one would be
    > best?
    >
    > I am not familiar with this technology at all.
    >
    > What/how is it different to SCSI etc, and what
    > advantages/disadvantages does it have?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Chris

+ Reply to Thread