AIX and keyboard events - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX and keyboard events - Aix ; Setup: Intellistation, AIX 5.2 and a PC keyboard We have an application running on a mixture of AIX and Linux workstations, mostly AIX. The customer has had keyboard made customised to the application, and with consummate genius has allocated NumLock ...

  1. AIX and keyboard events

    Setup: Intellistation, AIX 5.2 and a PC keyboard

    We have an application running on a mixture of AIX and Linux workstations,
    mostly AIX. The customer has had keyboard made customised to the application,
    and with consummate genius has allocated NumLock and the left Windows key
    (these keyboards are Cherry PC keyboard) as function keys. This isn't
    a problem on Linux, but on AIX I have a couple of problems. After
    some playing with xev, I find:

    1. No events are delivered at all for the Windows key.
    2. A press-and-release on the NumLock key generates only a KeyPress
    event. Repeat the press-and-release and you get a KeyRelease.
    Contrast with Linux, where you get a proper KeyPress/KeyRelease pair
    for each physical press-and-release.

    The NumLock problem I can probably work around in the application with
    some platform-specific effort, but as far as I can see I'm completely
    stuck on the Windows key.

    As far as I can see, the Windows key not delivering an event is a
    keyboard driver business. The keymapping stuff does know about the key.
    I presume that the keyboard driver is also responsible for the
    events from NumLock.

    Has anyone ever got a Windows key working for anything on AIX?
    Can anyone tell me I'm wrong, and I can tackle this via the keymap?
    --
    Jim Hague - jim@bear-cave.org.uk Never trust a computer you can't lift.

  2. Re: AIX and keyboard events

    In article <20061110163303.4919.0.NOFFLE@fluffy.bear-cave.org.uk>,
    Jim Hague wrote:
    >1. No events are delivered at all for the Windows key.
    >2. A press-and-release on the NumLock key generates only a KeyPress
    > event. Repeat the press-and-release and you get a KeyRelease.
    > Contrast with Linux, where you get a proper KeyPress/KeyRelease pair
    > for each physical press-and-release.

    It turns out that removing the NumLock function from the Num_Lock key
    with 'xmodmap -e "remove mod5 = Num_Lock"' causes future presses
    of the Num_Lock key to generate KeyPress/KeyRelease pairs. As in this
    case the customer specifically wants numbers only from the numeric key
    pad, that solves problem 2.

    I'm still looking for a way of receiving events from a Windows key.
    --
    Jim Hague - jim@bear-cave.org.uk Never trust a computer you can't lift.

  3. Re: AIX and keyboard events

    Jim Hague wrote:
    > Setup: Intellistation, AIX 5.2 and a PC keyboard
    >
    > We have an application running on a mixture of AIX and Linux workstations,
    > mostly AIX. The customer has had keyboard made customised to the application,
    > and with consummate genius has allocated NumLock and the left Windows key
    > (these keyboards are Cherry PC keyboard) as function keys. This isn't
    > a problem on Linux, but on AIX I have a couple of problems. After
    > some playing with xev, I find:
    >
    > 1. No events are delivered at all for the Windows key.
    > 2. A press-and-release on the NumLock key generates only a KeyPress
    > event. Repeat the press-and-release and you get a KeyRelease.
    > Contrast with Linux, where you get a proper KeyPress/KeyRelease pair
    > for each physical press-and-release.
    >
    > The NumLock problem I can probably work around in the application with
    > some platform-specific effort, but as far as I can see I'm completely
    > stuck on the Windows key.
    >
    > As far as I can see, the Windows key not delivering an event is a
    > keyboard driver business. The keymapping stuff does know about the key.
    > I presume that the keyboard driver is also responsible for the
    > events from NumLock.
    >
    > Has anyone ever got a Windows key working for anything on AIX?
    > Can anyone tell me I'm wrong, and I can tackle this via the keymap?

    Is your application using termcap or terminfo? If it is you might want
    to compare the Linux version for the workstations with the AIX version.
    There are a number of different key mappings available and maybe one
    of these is defined in Linux since it is most often used on PCs.

  4. Re: AIX and keyboard events

    In article <5tU5h.257169$QZ1.118889@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    Michael W. Ryder <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >Jim Hague wrote:
    >Is your application using termcap or terminfo?

    Oops. I should have made it clear that this is an X GUI application.
    So no termcap/terminfo. I'm using xev to look at the keyboard events
    received, and the Windows key (Super_L) generates no event at all.
    --
    Jim Hague - jim@bear-cave.org.uk Never trust a computer you can't lift.

  5. Re: AIX and keyboard events

    Jim Hague wrote:
    > In article <5tU5h.257169$QZ1.118889@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > Michael W. Ryder <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Hague wrote:
    >>Is your application using termcap or terminfo?

    > Oops. I should have made it clear that this is an X GUI application.
    > So no termcap/terminfo. I'm using xev to look at the keyboard events
    > received, and the Windows key (Super_L) generates no event at all.

    The AIX Tech Ref says that the OS only supports three types of
    keyboards: the 101-key keyboard, the 102-key keyboard and the 106-key
    keyboard. It is very possible that the scancode for the Windows key
    is simply not supported by AIX and it is tossed away.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...bdtech/Key.htm
    shows the supported keyboard layouts and the scancodes for the keys.

    Jim Lahue

  6. Re: AIX and keyboard events

    In article <4rrgl4Fspe34U1@mid.individual.net>,
    Jim Lahue wrote:
    >The AIX Tech Ref says that the OS only supports three types of
    >keyboards: the 101-key keyboard, the 102-key keyboard and the 106-key
    >keyboard. It is very possible that the scancode for the Windows key
    >is simply not supported by AIX and it is tossed away.
    >
    >http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...bdtech/Key.htm
    >shows the supported keyboard layouts and the scancodes for the keys.

    Thanks for the pointer. I feared as much...
    --
    Jim Hague - jim@bear-cave.org.uk Never trust a computer you can't lift.

+ Reply to Thread