Time taken to mirrorvg - Aix

This is a discussion on Time taken to mirrorvg - Aix ; How much it takes for a VG to be mirrored.? I have a VG(50 disks ,10G each) which containes LV(125G). It is taking a long time to mirror around 5 hrs. Is it normal ?...

  1. Time taken to mirrorvg

    How much it takes for a VG to be mirrored.?

    I have a VG(50 disks ,10G each) which containes LV(125G).

    It is taking a long time to mirror around 5 hrs.

    Is it normal ?

  2. Re: Time taken to mirrorvg

    probably depends on what sort of drive you have and when you're doing
    it (I'd recommend a time when there's not much system activity)

    Having said that -I've always heard that it "takes a while"

    Generally it's operation I'll crontab for late in the night when no one
    cares or at the very least, kick off as I leave for the day

    saggar wrote:
    > How much it takes for a VG to be mirrored.?
    >
    > I have a VG(50 disks ,10G each) which containes LV(125G).
    >
    > It is taking a long time to mirror around 5 hrs.
    >
    > Is it normal ?

  3. Re: Time taken to mirrorvg

    Yeah..I am using SAN drives right now.
    there is no system activity at the time when i started that.
    I have started that in the night only.

    thanks
    mikelaff@gmail.com wrote:
    > probably depends on what sort of drive you have and when you're doing
    > it (I'd recommend a time when there's not much system activity)
    >
    > Having said that -I've always heard that it "takes a while"
    >
    > Generally it's operation I'll crontab for late in the night when no one
    > cares or at the very least, kick off as I leave for the day
    >
    > saggar wrote:
    > > How much it takes for a VG to be mirrored.?
    > >
    > > I have a VG(50 disks ,10G each) which containes LV(125G).
    > >
    > > It is taking a long time to mirror around 5 hrs.
    > >
    > > Is it normal ?

  4. Re: Time taken to mirrorvg

    saggar wrote:
    > How much it takes for a VG to be mirrored.?
    >
    > I have a VG(50 disks ,10G each) which containes LV(125G).
    >
    > It is taking a long time to mirror around 5 hrs.
    >
    > Is it normal ?

    If these LUNs are SAN based (as you say) it then depends on how the disk
    array connected to the SAN is configured. I have some seen some disk
    arrays configured and sliced in lots of lovely ways, then someone comes
    along and mirrors a VG when the underlying LUNs are already configured
    in a hardware redundant manner i.e. a RAID-5 or RAID-6 configuration so
    the VG doesn't need to be mirrored and doing so may introduce
    performance issues.

    Also some low-end Disk Arrays don't have very large caches or
    write-cache is not enabled so if you are mirroring LUNs, the lack of
    cache could have an effect.

+ Reply to Thread