SAN boot and questions. - Aix

This is a discussion on SAN boot and questions. - Aix ; Folks, We will have 4 570 systems with each system having 8-10 LPARs. We decided to go in the direction of SAN boot with DS8100 thinking that it is easy to setup and manage :-) In the SDD guide, on ...

  1. SAN boot and questions.

    Folks,

    We will have 4 570 systems with each system having 8-10 LPARs.

    We decided to go in the direction of SAN boot with DS8100 thinking that
    it is easy to setup and manage :-)

    In the SDD guide, on page 45 under "SAN boot install for AIX 5.2 and
    5.3"

    SAN boot install procedure for AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3 Use this procedure
    for SAN boot install for AIX 5.2 and AIX 5.3:
    1. Configure disk storage system devices to the AIX system, restricted
    with single-path per LUN.
    2. Install the base operating system on the selected disk storage
    system single-path devices.
    3. Upgrade the base operating system to the latest maintenance level.
    4. Connect additional AIX host adapters and additional storage adapter
    ....etc...

    The problem I have is on first step. Do we have to make sure only
    single-path per LUN is there for every inital install or everytime we
    do system install/maintenance. We use NIM for install.

    Thank you

    JP

  2. Re: SAN boot and questions.

    Just initial install. I've performed system maintenance on such
    systems, keeping them multipathed.
    The only situation I know, when it's necessary to reduce LUN
    availability to single path only, is when you use EMC PowerPath for
    rootvg.

  3. Re: SAN boot and questions.

    On 7 Nov 2006 11:00:34 -0800, johnpa60@my-deja.com wrote:

    >We will have 4 570 systems with each system having 8-10 LPARs.
    >
    >We decided to go in the direction of SAN boot with DS8100 thinking that
    >it is easy to setup and manage :-)
    >
    >... restricted with single-path per LUN.

    I'd like to suggest that you implement VIO Server(s) and present the
    "rootvg" LUNs to the VIO Server and then map those LUNs to the client
    LPARs. Then you can use MPIO to boot the LPARs without the confusion
    of having some disk connections zone wierdly. LPARs can still have
    their own "direct SAN attached disk" (using SDDPCM).

    -- David

+ Reply to Thread