pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3 - Aix ; I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it, pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to find a particular ...

  1. pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3

    I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to
    take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it,
    pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to
    find a particular fileset for this. Is is on the 8 cd V5.3
    release or somewhere else?

    Is ssl/ssh supported well in a binary release somewhere
    or is it just better to grab source and compile? I notice
    that the bullfreeware site has an openssl from May 2005
    while the aixpdslib doesn't have it at all.

    Thanks for any help in bringing me up to date.

  2. Re: pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3

    In article ,
    pack@users.forethought.net (Daniel Packman) writes:
    > I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to
    > take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it,
    > pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to
    > find a particular fileset for this. Is is on the 8 cd V5.3
    > release or somewhere else?
    >
    > Is ssl/ssh supported well in a binary release somewhere
    > or is it just better to grab source and compile? I notice
    > that the bullfreeware site has an openssl from May 2005
    > while the aixpdslib doesn't have it at all.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in bringing me up to date.

    with 5.2 at least I usually take
    openssl as precompiled from the Linux toolbox
    and
    openssh from some Bonus/Expansion CD
    (would be nice if IBM would put all the low-level "must-haves"
    that don't come with the base OS
    on a single installp'able CD)

  3. Re: pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3

    pack@users.forethought.net (Daniel Packman) writes:
    >I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to
    >take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it,
    >pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to
    >find a particular fileset for this. Is is on the 8 cd V5.3
    >release or somewhere else?

    PAM's supposed to be "all there" now, but there's something
    busted in the framework where things marked "sufficient" in
    the password part of pam.conf don't work at all. The problem
    is easy to reproduce by just changing "required" to "sufficient"
    in the single password line in the default pam.conf. Apparently
    the framework gets the OK back from the prelim check and thinks
    everything's all done...

    >Is ssl/ssh supported well in a binary release somewhere
    >or is it just better to grab source and compile? I notice
    >that the bullfreeware site has an openssl from May 2005
    >while the aixpdslib doesn't have it at all.

    I searched for ssh and aix on google and quickly found a
    link to an ibm site that had a link to some partner site
    and got a bff with ssh in it and an rpm with the ssl libs
    in it.

    -Mike

  4. Re: pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3

    In article ,
    hubcap wrote:
    >pack@users.forethought.net (Daniel Packman) writes:
    >>I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to
    >>take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it,
    >>pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to
    >>find a particular fileset for this. Is is on the 8 cd V5.3
    >>release or somewhere else?

    >PAM's supposed to be "all there" now, but there's something
    >busted in the framework where things marked "sufficient" in
    >the password part of pam.conf don't work at all. The problem
    >is easy to reproduce by just changing "required" to "sufficient"
    >in the single password line in the default pam.conf. Apparently
    >the framework gets the OK back from the prelim check and thinks
    >everything's all done...

    Thanks for the heads up, but what is the fileset I should
    look for and where might it be hiding?

    >>Is ssl/ssh supported well in a binary release somewhere
    >>or is it just better to grab source and compile? I notice
    >>that the bullfreeware site has an openssl from May 2005
    >>while the aixpdslib doesn't have it at all.

    >I searched for ssh and aix on google and quickly found a
    >link to an ibm site that had a link to some partner site
    >and got a bff with ssh in it and an rpm with the ssl libs
    >in it.

    Ok, there is the sourceforge site from sep 2005 openssh 4.1p1
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix

    The current openssh mirrors have version 4.4p1.

    The version in the ibm expansion pack seems to be 4.3

  5. Re: pam/ssl/ssh on aix 5.3

    In article <2JadnW9oLpUfbs3YnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@forethought.net>,
    Daniel Packman wrote:
    >In article ,
    >hubcap wrote:
    >>pack@users.forethought.net (Daniel Packman) writes:
    >>>I just updated an ancient system to 5.3 and would like to
    >>>take advantage of newer parts of the OS. As I understand it,
    >>>pam is now fully supported in the OS. I haven't been able to
    >>>find a particular fileset for this. Is is on the 8 cd V5.3
    >>>release or somewhere else?

    >>PAM's supposed to be "all there" now, but there's something
    >>busted in the framework where things marked "sufficient" in
    >>the password part of pam.conf don't work at all. The problem
    >>is easy to reproduce by just changing "required" to "sufficient"
    >>in the single password line in the default pam.conf. Apparently
    >>the framework gets the OK back from the prelim check and thinks
    >>everything's all done...

    >Thanks for the heads up, but what is the fileset I should
    >look for and where might it be hiding?

    Just to follow up a bit here...
    The file /etc/pam.conf and other pam files are
    in the fileset bos.rte.security.

+ Reply to Thread