cron entry - Aix

This is a discussion on cron entry - Aix ; I am using the following cron entry to run a cron job every 4 hours and it is rejecting it: Any ideas? 0 */4 * * * /home/location/scriptname Thanks...

  1. cron entry

    I am using the following cron entry to run a cron job every 4 hours and

    it is rejecting it:
    Any ideas?
    0 */4 * * * /home/location/scriptname

    Thanks

  2. Re: cron entry

    capeme wrote:
    > I am using the following cron entry to run a cron job every 4 hours and
    >
    > it is rejecting it:
    > Any ideas?
    > 0 */4 * * * /home/location/scriptname
    >
    > Thanks

    As far as I know, that syntax is invalid for the AIX version of cron or
    crontab. To run it every four hours, you select the hours you want it
    to run. Example:

    00 00,04,08,12,16,20 * * * /home/location/scriptname 1>/dev/null 2>&1

    You may also want to redirect the script output to /dev/null or to a
    log filename otherwise you will get an email from cron for every time
    that it runs (six per day) sent to the cron owner (root?).

    HTH,

    Steve

  3. Re: cron entry

    thanks - I will try this.
    steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:
    > capeme wrote:
    > > I am using the following cron entry to run a cron job every 4 hours and
    > >
    > > it is rejecting it:
    > > Any ideas?
    > > 0 */4 * * * /home/location/scriptname
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > As far as I know, that syntax is invalid for the AIX version of cron or
    > crontab. To run it every four hours, you select the hours you want it
    > to run. Example:
    >
    > 00 00,04,08,12,16,20 * * * /home/location/scriptname 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    >
    > You may also want to redirect the script output to /dev/null or to a
    > log filename otherwise you will get an email from cron for every time
    > that it runs (six per day) sent to the cron owner (root?).
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread