NIM Master setup - Aix

This is a discussion on NIM Master setup - Aix ; Hi All, I am new to NIM, and trying to configure my first NIM master. Running AIX 5.2, and using the following directions http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245524.html My first question is, do I need to use AIX CDs to create a NIM Master? ...

  1. NIM Master setup

    Hi All,

    I am new to NIM, and trying to configure my first NIM master.

    Running AIX 5.2, and using the following directions
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245524.html

    My first question is, do I need to use AIX CDs to create a NIM Master?
    We have other NIM servers on the network, is it possible to copy their
    stuff into my NIM master?

    tia

  2. Re: NIM Master setup

    Mag wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am new to NIM, and trying to configure my first NIM master.
    >
    > Running AIX 5.2, and using the following directions
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245524.html
    >

    > My first question is, do I need to use AIX CDs to create a NIM Master?
    > We have other NIM servers on the network, is it possible to copy their
    > stuff into my NIM master?
    >
    > tia

    Yes, you can copy the lppsource from one of your other NIM masters then
    do a define resource to define the lppsource on the new master. Just
    leave the source of install filesets blank. Then you will need to
    define the spot using the newly defined lppsource. I don't know of a
    way to copy the spot.

  3. Re: NIM Master setup

    You don't need to copy the SPOT, just create it from the copied
    lpp_source.

    -Jay
    Steve Stewart wrote:
    > Mag wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am new to NIM, and trying to configure my first NIM master.
    > >
    > > Running AIX 5.2, and using the following directions
    > > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245524.html
    > >

    > > My first question is, do I need to use AIX CDs to create a NIM Master?
    > > We have other NIM servers on the network, is it possible to copy their
    > > stuff into my NIM master?
    > >
    > > tia
    > >

    > Yes, you can copy the lppsource from one of your other NIM masters then
    > do a define resource to define the lppsource on the new master. Just
    > leave the source of install filesets blank. Then you will need to
    > define the spot using the newly defined lppsource. I don't know of a
    > way to copy the spot.

+ Reply to Thread