Restore of a mirrored rootvg - Aix

This is a discussion on Restore of a mirrored rootvg - Aix ; Hello, I have a mksysb of a mirrored rootvg on a tape. I know that the restore produces also a mirrored rootvg. One solution for not restoring the mirroring is to alter the image.data file before doing the mksysb. But ...

  1. Restore of a mirrored rootvg

    Hello,

    I have a mksysb of a mirrored rootvg on a tape. I know that the restore
    produces also a mirrored rootvg. One solution for not restoring the
    mirroring is to alter the image.data file before doing the mksysb.
    But is it possible not to restore as a mirrored rootvg if I haven't
    change the file before?

    Cheers

  2. Re: Restore of a mirrored rootvg

    > I have a mksysb of a mirrored rootvg on a tape. I know that the restore
    > produces also a mirrored rootvg. One solution for not restoring the
    > mirroring is to alter the image.data file before doing the mksysb.
    > But is it possible not to restore as a mirrored rootvg if I haven't
    > change the file before?

    No.
    If you didn't modify the image.data file, when you will restore your
    mksysb, at the begining of the process, aix _tries_ to create the lv at
    the size it will find in the image.data file and also with the number
    of copies you told it in the image.data file.
    That doesn't mean your installation will fail. If the disk you attend
    to restore on is big enough, the installation process _may_ succeed.

    If I were you (but I m not), I would try for testing, then I'd modify
    the image.data file by extracting it from the tape and re-including it.

  3. Re: Restore of a mirrored rootvg

    Thank you very much for your reply.

    > If I were you (but I m not), I would try for testing, then I'd modify
    > the image.data file by extracting it from the tape and re-including it.

    How can one extract the image.data from the mksysb and then re-include
    it again to be used upon the restore?

    Cheers

  4. Re: Restore of a mirrored rootvg

    hi,
    Alves wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your reply.
    >
    > > If I were you (but I m not), I would try for testing, then I'd modify
    > > the image.data file by extracting it from the tape and re-including it.

    > How can one extract the image.data from the mksysb and then re-include
    > it again to be used upon the restore?
    >
    > Cheers

    i'm not sure how to extract the image data file, but for using the
    edited
    image data file, using NIM, you need to define the image_data resource
    and have it allocated to the client for the mksysb restore.

    i recently made a NIM mksysb restore of a system with a mirrorred
    rootvg to
    an LPAR with a single, smaller disk. since i didn''t make any backup of
    the image
    data file (i do have this now for all the LPARs we have), i used the
    image data file
    of another system. editing the values for the PP number and copies.
    mine was a trial and error - since i didn't keep track of the partition
    sizes of the system. each restore attempt, i edit the image_data
    resource target file. increasing the number of PPs, particulary for the
    /opt FS.
    this will be much harder if you have some logical partitions that you
    didin't keep track of the
    disk usage.

    erik

  5. Re: Restore of a mirrored rootvg

    image.data file by extracting it from the tape and re-including it.

    > > How can one extract the image.data from the mksysb and then re-include
    > > it again to be used upon the restore?
    > >
    > > Cheers

    Its in the second section of the mksysb tape ..

    restore -s2 -qTvf /dev/rmt0.1 # will list the contents #

    check out "Breaking mirrors on an existing mksysb" from this doc ..

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread