ML Update with other disk - Aix

This is a discussion on ML Update with other disk - Aix ; ML Update with other disk -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All, I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08). I was planning something like this: 1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1) 2) perform ML update on hdisk1 3) bootoff ...

  1. ML Update with other disk

    ML Update with other disk

    Hi All,

    I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).

    I was planning something like this:
    1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    3) bootoff hdisk1

    Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?

    Any thoughts about this?

    TIA

    Mag

    Friedhelm Neyer Posts: n/a

    Re: ML Update with other disk

    1. unmirrorvg rootvg
    2. reducevg rootvg hdisk1
    3. alt_disk_install -C hdisk1

    With the lspv command you see at this point a rootvg and an alt_rootvg

    Now you can boot from hdisk1 and perform your update to TL08
    After updating you should run the systemwith the new TL and see if all
    apps run properly - if so do the following

    At this point you have a rootvg and an old_rootvg (yes OLD...), so you
    do the following:

    1. alt_disk_install -X old_rootvg
    2. extendvg -d rootvg hdisk1
    3. mirrorvg -S rootvg

    Now you have a mirrored rootvg again with TL08

  2. Re: ML Update with other disk

    Okay, I have tried this.

    I booted of hdisk1, and while updating the ML, I get this problem now

    installp: APPLYING software for:
    devices.chrp.base.rte 5.2.0.85

    Replaying log for /dev/fwdump.
    Failure replaying log: -1
    mount: /dev/fwdump on /var/adm/ras/platform: Unformatted or
    incompatible media
    The superblock on /dev/fwdump is dirty. Run a full fsck to fix.
    update: Failed while executing the devices.chrp.base.rte.post_u
    script.

    installp: The installation has FAILED for the "root" part
    of the following filesets:
    devices.chrp.base.rte 5.2.0.85

    installp: Cleaning up software for:
    devices.chrp.base.rte 5.2.0.85

    Was I supposed to do anything special with my dump devices?

    Any ideas?

    Lv wrote:
    > ML Update with other disk

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).
    >
    > I was planning something like this:
    > 1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    > 2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    > 3) bootoff hdisk1
    >
    > Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    > #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?
    >
    > Any thoughts about this?
    >

    > TIA
    >

    > Mag

    > Friedhelm Neyer Posts: n/a
    >
    > Re: ML Update with other disk

    > 1. unmirrorvg rootvg
    > 2. reducevg rootvg hdisk1
    > 3. alt_disk_install -C hdisk1
    >
    > With the lspv command you see at this point a rootvg and an alt_rootvg
    >
    > Now you can boot from hdisk1 and perform your update to TL08
    > After updating you should run the systemwith the new TL and see if all
    > apps run properly - if so do the following
    >
    > At this point you have a rootvg and an old_rootvg (yes OLD...), so you
    > do the following:
    >
    > 1. alt_disk_install -X old_rootvg
    > 2. extendvg -d rootvg hdisk1
    > 3. mirrorvg -S rootvg
    >
    > Now you have a mirrored rootvg again with TL08

+ Reply to Thread