Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box - Aix

This is a discussion on Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box - Aix ; We are migrating from a p615 box to a 560 box. What is the best way to transfer all the files over?...

  1. Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box

    We are migrating from a p615 box to a 560 box. What is the best way
    to transfer all the files over?

  2. Re: Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box

    hehe, at least it isn't a loaded question ;-)

    what type of environment are you running? SAN, SCSI, SSA? Are the
    disks staying or moving? Do you need to migrate user info or just
    data? How is data separated - all in rootvg, different vgs? What apps
    are you running Oracle, DB2, TSM?

    the "best" way is very subjective, in my environment, if I needed
    rootvg data I would do an alt_disk_install to a san disk, then reassign
    that disk to the p560 and boof off that disk. At that point I would
    varyoff & export my non-rootvg volumes on the p615, reassign them to
    the p560, then import, varyon, mount, etc...

    Then if my assumptions are WAY off base there's always tape, ftp,
    ssh/sftp, etc.

    good luck.

    On Oct 17, 4:03 pm, jdmas...@gmail.com wrote:
    > We are migrating from a p615 box to a 560 box. What is the best way
    > to transfer all the files over?

  3. Re: Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box

    yeap. Several ways in doing it. Depends on your environment. If you
    don't have any of those san stuff, means all data in internal disk.
    Make sure you your p615 has the same os version with p560. If not,
    upgrade os for p615.

    -Perform mksysb for p615 to backup rootvg.
    -From smitty vg, choose to backup other vgs available in p615.
    -at p560, insert the mksysb tape and put the OS CDs as well. (This will
    auto install any new device drivers needed in p560 upon successfull os
    restoration.
    -If the mksysb restoration successful, you should be able to login by
    using the same root password in p615. Insert the vg backup tape and
    restore by accessing smitty vg. Just navigate the options and you will
    find them. AIX migration is the smoothness i ever done compare to other
    UNIX flavours.

    Rgds

    c00p wrote:
    > hehe, at least it isn't a loaded question ;-)
    >
    > what type of environment are you running? SAN, SCSI, SSA? Are the
    > disks staying or moving? Do you need to migrate user info or just
    > data? How is data separated - all in rootvg, different vgs? What apps
    > are you running Oracle, DB2, TSM?
    >
    > the "best" way is very subjective, in my environment, if I needed
    > rootvg data I would do an alt_disk_install to a san disk, then reassign
    > that disk to the p560 and boof off that disk. At that point I would
    > varyoff & export my non-rootvg volumes on the p615, reassign them to
    > the p560, then import, varyon, mount, etc...
    >
    > Then if my assumptions are WAY off base there's always tape, ftp,
    > ssh/sftp, etc.
    >
    > good luck.
    >
    > On Oct 17, 4:03 pm, jdmas...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > We are migrating from a p615 box to a 560 box. What is the best way
    > > to transfer all the files over?

  4. Re: Migrating from a 615 Box to a 560 Box

    mrkhairy@yahoo.com wrote:
    > yeap. Several ways in doing it. Depends on your environment. If you
    > don't have any of those san stuff, means all data in internal disk.
    > Make sure you your p615 has the same os version with p560. If not,
    > upgrade os for p615.
    >
    > -Perform mksysb for p615 to backup rootvg.
    > -From smitty vg, choose to backup other vgs available in p615.
    > -at p560, insert the mksysb tape and put the OS CDs as well. (This will
    > auto install any new device drivers needed in p560 upon successfull os
    > restoration.
    > -If the mksysb restoration successful, you should be able to login by
    > using the same root password in p615. Insert the vg backup tape and
    > restore by accessing smitty vg. Just navigate the options and you will
    > find them. AIX migration is the smoothness i ever done compare to other
    > UNIX flavours.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > c00p wrote:
    > > hehe, at least it isn't a loaded question ;-)
    > >
    > > what type of environment are you running? SAN, SCSI, SSA? Are the
    > > disks staying or moving? Do you need to migrate user info or just
    > > data? How is data separated - all in rootvg, different vgs? What apps
    > > are you running Oracle, DB2, TSM?
    > >
    > > the "best" way is very subjective, in my environment, if I needed
    > > rootvg data I would do an alt_disk_install to a san disk, then reassign
    > > that disk to the p560 and boof off that disk. At that point I would
    > > varyoff & export my non-rootvg volumes on the p615, reassign them to
    > > the p560, then import, varyon, mount, etc...
    > >
    > > Then if my assumptions are WAY off base there's always tape, ftp,
    > > ssh/sftp, etc.
    > >
    > > good luck.
    > >
    > > On Oct 17, 4:03 pm, jdmas...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > We are migrating from a p615 box to a 560 box. What is the best way
    > > > to transfer all the files over?

    We have a DDS drive on the p615 but not on the p560 (only a dvd drive
    for mksysb). We back up the entire system using Veritas. We are
    running Oracle only and using internal drives. The oracle vg is about
    100Gb.

+ Reply to Thread