Bought an c20 ibm server without nothing ,,is it working with an Serial 3270? - Aix

This is a discussion on Bought an c20 ibm server without nothing ,,is it working with an Serial 3270? - Aix ; I searching for information, on ibm i coudn't find it, this C20 power PC server machine gives my no display at at, do i need a special cable, do i have to use a serial null-modem cable? what are the ...

  1. Bought an c20 ibm server without nothing ,,is it working with an Serial 3270?

    I searching for information, on ibm i coudn't find it, this C20 power
    PC server machine gives my no display at at, do i need a special cable,
    do i have to use a serial null-modem cable?
    what are the defaults,,,,
    End how far can i upgrade this machine, can i boot it with a cd, so
    that i can modify the inittab, or paswoord file, how to empty this.
    can i run 5.2 on this machine.
    Till so far i had installed an F50 machine but this one works fine with
    an vga module.
    It also has an ps/2 look a like connector interface just above the
    mouse ps/2 interface
    Never seen an connection like this, the symbool look like a mouse sign
    in a kubus.
    someone an idee?
    Pse mail me at wmelis@casema.nl

  2. Re: Bought an c20 ibm server without nothing ,,is it working withan Serial 3270?

    aix_knowledgeupdate wrote:
    > I searching for information, on ibm i coudn't find it, this C20 power
    > PC server machine gives my no display at at, do i need a special cable,

    It's better to include both type and model, but I can recognize the
    7009-C20 from your description. You might have a video card installed
    in the 7009, but that was an optional feature, so you might not. You
    can attach a serial terminal via a Laplink-style null modem connection
    directly to the serial port, if you want to have "both" serial ports
    available you need the special splitter cable (IBM part number 31F4126).
    Yes, it will boot from an AIX install CD, and from there you can exit to
    a maintenance shell. The highest level of AIX that you can run on the
    7009 is 5.1, but you'll probably want to run some flavor of version 4,
    due to processor speed and RAM limitations. The connector above the
    mouse port is for an IBM 5083 graphics tablet, many of the Microchannel
    RS/6000s had the tablet connector.

    Rick Ekblaw

+ Reply to Thread