Re: Rsync Rookie - Aix

This is a discussion on Re: Rsync Rookie - Aix ; "capeme" writes: > I now have rsync running but am wondering if anyone can help with > syntax for doing incrementals? I wnat to update a data directory > between 2 systems a couple times a day but am confused ...

  1. Re: Rsync Rookie

    "capeme" writes:

    > I now have rsync running but am wondering if anyone can help with
    > syntax for doing incrementals? I wnat to update a data directory
    > between 2 systems a couple times a day but am confused on syntax for
    > incremental.

    Unless I've missed something, Rsync doesn't really distinguish between
    the first run and an incremental. At least in my use, the same
    command does it all. rsync figures out what needs to be updated and
    just does its thing to make source and destination identical without
    transferring files that are already there.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  2. Re: Rsync Rookie

    really - I did not know that.....I will run some tests.
    thanks
    And other suggestions or gotchas???
    Todd H. wrote:
    > "capeme" writes:
    >
    > > I now have rsync running but am wondering if anyone can help with
    > > syntax for doing incrementals? I wnat to update a data directory
    > > between 2 systems a couple times a day but am confused on syntax for
    > > incremental.

    > Unless I've missed something, Rsync doesn't really distinguish between
    > the first run and an incremental. At least in my use, the same
    > command does it all. rsync figures out what needs to be updated and
    > just does its thing to make source and destination identical without
    > transferring files that are already there.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Rsync Rookie

    When you have rather large filesystems any ideas on what options woudl
    speed up the rsync process??

    capeme wrote:
    > really - I did not know that.....I will run some tests.
    > thanks
    > And other suggestions or gotchas???
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "capeme" writes:
    > >
    > > > I now have rsync running but am wondering if anyone can help with
    > > > syntax for doing incrementals? I wnat to update a data directory
    > > > between 2 systems a couple times a day but am confused on syntax for
    > > > incremental.

    > > Unless I've missed something, Rsync doesn't really distinguish between
    > > the first run and an incremental. At least in my use, the same
    > > command does it all. rsync figures out what needs to be updated and
    > > just does its thing to make source and destination identical without
    > > transferring files that are already there.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Todd H.
    > > http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Rsync Rookie

    "capeme" writes:

    > When you have rather large filesystems any ideas on what options woudl
    > speed up the rsync process??

    Splitting them into separate rsyncs by top level subdirectory?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread