  1. ML Update with other disk

    Hi All,

    I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).

    I was planning something like this:
    1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    3) bootoff hdisk1

    Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?

    Any thoughts about this?

    TIA

  2. Re: ML Update with other disk

    1. unmirrorvg rootvg
    2. reducevg rootvg hdisk1
    3. alt_disk_install -C hdisk1

    With the lspv command you see at this point a rootvg and an alt_rootvg

    Now you can boot from hdisk1 and perform your update to TL08
    After updating you should run the systemwith the new TL and see if all
    apps run properly - if so do the following

    At this point you have a rootvg and an old_rootvg (yes OLD...), so you
    do the following:

    1. alt_disk_install -X old_rootvg
    2. extendvg -d rootvg hdisk1
    3. mirrorvg -S rootvg

    Now you have a mirrored rootvg again with TL08

    Mag wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).
    >
    > I was planning something like this:
    > 1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    > 2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    > 3) bootoff hdisk1
    >
    > Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    > #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?
    >
    > Any thoughts about this?
    >

    > TIA

  3. Re: ML Update with other disk

    Friedhelm:

    Thanks for the reply.

    "alt_disk_install -C hdisk1"

    According to the man page -C will clone rootvg. My rootvg would already
    exist on hdisk1 since it was mirrored.

    So, basically once I clone the rootvg, I change bootlist to hdisk1:
    bootlist -m normal hdisk1
    Then do 'smitty update_all' and reboot again from hdisk1.

    Does that sound right?

    TIA

    Friedhelm Neyer wrote:
    > 1. unmirrorvg rootvg
    > 2. reducevg rootvg hdisk1
    > 3. alt_disk_install -C hdisk1
    >
    > With the lspv command you see at this point a rootvg and an alt_rootvg
    >
    > Now you can boot from hdisk1 and perform your update to TL08
    > After updating you should run the systemwith the new TL and see if all
    > apps run properly - if so do the following
    >
    > At this point you have a rootvg and an old_rootvg (yes OLD...), so you
    > do the following:
    >
    > 1. alt_disk_install -X old_rootvg
    > 2. extendvg -d rootvg hdisk1
    > 3. mirrorvg -S rootvg
    >
    > Now you have a mirrored rootvg again with TL08
    >

    > Mag wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).
    > >
    > > I was planning something like this:
    > > 1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    > > 2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    > > 3) bootoff hdisk1
    > >
    > > Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    > > #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?
    > >
    > > Any thoughts about this?
    > >

    > > TIA

  4. Re: ML Update with other disk

    No, because you will actually be updating your active rootvg on
    hdisk0...you need to use the alt_disk_copy method as recommended. You
    can save a step by doing the updates during the clone. I don't
    remember the syntax but easy enough to get via "smitty alt_clone".
    This way you don't have to clone, reboot, update your ML then probably
    reboot again if bosboot is run during the update.

    On Oct 15, 12:56 pm, "Mag" wrote:
    > Friedhelm:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > "alt_disk_install -C hdisk1"
    >
    > According to the man page -C will clone rootvg. My rootvg would already
    > exist on hdisk1 since it was mirrored.
    >
    > So, basically once I clone the rootvg, I change bootlist to hdisk1:
    > bootlist -m normal hdisk1
    > Then do 'smitty update_all' and reboot again from hdisk1.
    >
    > Does that sound right?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Friedhelm Neyer wrote:
    > > 1. unmirrorvg rootvg
    > > 2. reducevg rootvg hdisk1
    > > 3. alt_disk_install -C hdisk1

    > > With the lspv command you see at this point a rootvg and an alt_rootvg

    > > Now you can boot from hdisk1 and perform your update to TL08
    > > After updating you should run the systemwith the new TL and see if all
    > > apps run properly - if so do the following

    > > At this point you have a rootvg and an old_rootvg (yes OLD...), so you
    > > do the following:

    > > 1. alt_disk_install -X old_rootvg
    > > 2. extendvg -d rootvg hdisk1
    > > 3. mirrorvg -S rootvg

    > > Now you have a mirrored rootvg again with TL08

    > > Mag wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > I am planning to do ML update (5.2 ML 05 to TL 08).

    > > > I was planning something like this:
    > > > 1) unmirror rootvg (hdisk0, hdisk1)
    > > > 2) perform ML update on hdisk1
    > > > 3) bootoff hdisk1

    > > > Does that sound right? If so, I am not sure how to do step #2. For step
    > > > #3, I can just change the bootlist order, correct?

    > > > Any thoughts about this?

    > > > TIA

+ Reply to Thread